Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking foot question

I inherited my MIL's Janome sewing machine about 5 years ago. My SIL just moved out of state and in the process of packing ran across some random items incl thread, rotary cutters, instruction book for my machine, and a Singer brand walking foot. I put the foot on my machine but once attached it sits so low that even when the presser foot is up it is still sitting right against the needle plate so there is no way I could feed any fabric through. There just is no room. I checked YouTube and it looks like I have attached iit correctly. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? I can't figure it out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Walking foot question

My only thought is that maybe this is not a correct foot for your machine, but our MIL just didn't want to toss it because she had paid good money for it.

3. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

jj- Without more to go on it sounds as if the shank height is different between the two machines you are trying to share parts with.
    Model numbers would be helpful but I'd bet your Janome is low shank, and the Singer foot is something else- higher anyway, but even a slant shank Singer. You can measure it yourself. The link below explains it simply enough.

http://www.thesewbox.com/2008/04/how...hank-size.html
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

5. Thanks chelea, Deegles thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You have a Jenome machine and a singer
    walking foot. You have to buy a walking
    foot for your Janine machine.

7. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

yes, you must get one meant for your Janome machine. look in your manual if you have one. for what fits yours and if you have a short shank or long shank. Mine works great.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just chiming in to agree with everyone else. I grew up with Singers & am now on Janomes, and NOTHING is compatible between the two. I can't even use Singer needles in my Janome machines!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm the outlier here because I don't agree with the "blanket statements" here that there is no cross compatibility between Janome and Singer (feet and needles), or other brands for that matter. There is more than you think- depending on which models.

Singer, because of the numbers produced over the years, used some different specs on some of their models. But there are a big share of their models that use the same needles and shank compatibility with many modern machines, Janome included. The needle size is the standard household needle- 15x1, 130-705H. Feet compatibility is a bit more hit and miss, depending on shank height, and needle bar screw mostly- but still a surprising amount of interchange.

I do it all the time. I sew daily, and depending on my mood, or the task, or maybe the color of thread currently loaded, use three different machines- Janome, Viking, and a Singer 15-91. Needles and feet interchange without issue- walking foot included. The Janome was new a year and a half ago; the Viking was born on 1972, and the Singer is from 1928. I have another dozen or so vintage Japanese machines from mid-century. All parts in question interchange.

You just gotta know what you got. If there is possibility of compatibility it makes no sense to me to own, or go out and buy duplicates for each machine. Yeah- if you aren't sure head to the dealer. I can't stomach dealer pricing in some cases, and I've seen cases where the dealer sent one home with the wrong part, or simply didn't know what works.

So JJ... what models are we talking about? I still suspect it a shank height issue but if you are still wanting to nail down the problem...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Janome DC2015 and purchased one of the generic (Distinctive) walking feet, open toe design and it works fine. The Janome brand at the time was not in my budget. When this one wears out I will invest in a Janome one, but for now all is working good. Before I got the open toe one I used a Singer one from my other machine. Guess my shanks are equal.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So JJ... what models are we talking about? I still suspect it a shank height issue but if you are still wanting to nail down the problem...
    I have Janome H5024. The Singer walking foot has no number on it that I can see. But I can definitely tell you once the wf is attached to my machine the presser foot sits flat on my needle plate even when the lever is raised in the up position, and there is no way I could feed fabric under the walking foot, there's not even an 8th of an inch clearance. Thank you for wanting to help me! It is clear your expertise far exceeds mine.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so you don't have the Singer machine the walking foot came from? Well then. It'still a safe bet that the shank heights are different from your description of the problem. Let's go with that. LOL There are generic low shank WF available for under $10.00. Like this- https://www.amazon.com/YEQIN-Walking...=mh0b-20&psc=1

There are ones with a "quilting guide" as well if desired. In the case of "generic" walking foots for modern low shank machines (Singer, Brother, Janome, etc), I don't see any practical difference between those and the OEM branded "Janome" foot. Comparable quality and life. Remove the branding from the OEM foot, and you couldn't tell them apart, even upon close inspection. Keep 'em clean and oiled and they'll all give the same life- and that's until the "teeth" wear out.

There are brands/models out there where generic feet are not available or suitable. This includes some Janomes, but the one which really slays me is for Bernina- vintage and current models. A friend wanted a WF for her vintage 830. While in the Bernina dealer I asked if they had one. They did. $225!!! Huh? I did find an OEM foot (NIB) at a closing dealership nearby. How much? $25. And that included the shank adapter for fitment to various model Berninas. SOLD!

Mimi Howard- I too have a DC2015. That's a whole lot of sewing machine for the money.