Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and puzzled

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Question New and puzzled

Hello from Central California. Im new to these forums. I am probably posting this to the wrong place. If so please direct me. I’m not an experienced quilter, and I hope to get a puzzle solved. I love the Half and Half quilt that Jenny does a YouTube tutorial to make, and I have watched it over and over. I am not a solver of math problems, so please, bear with me. The tutorial shows Jenny making the quilt from 10” precut squares. I have purchased a selection of colors in fat quarters which I would love to make into this quilt. Here is my puzzle. In the tutorial Jenny sews around the perimeter of a pair of 10” squares, then cuts the sewn 10” piece into quarters from corner to corner. Then says to square up the four triangular “half squares” into a 6.5 inch triangle. There is no visual of the “squaring up” of a triangle and I am lost in this! What does “squareing up” mean and why does she say to square up a 10 inch triangle to 6.5 inches? Does that mean I can use a smaller size square and not have to cut my fat quarters into 10 inch squares? Cutting my fat quarters into 10” squares means I do not have enough fabric to make my quilt. AUGGHH!!! IS there a work around so I dont need to start with ten inch squares of fabric to make this quilt?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New and puzzled

I think you can use any size square. With fat quarters you should be able to make 9" squares. Then stitch around the outside, just like she says and then draw a diagonal line in both directions and cut them. You should have 4 half square triangles. Now you want to make sure they are all squared up...the same size. put them on your cutting mat and fit them to a grid and you should be able to make them "squared". Jenny is the queen of precuts and so most of her simple tutorials are for 5", 10" and 2 1/2" squares. You can reconfigure your patterns to fit nearly any size.

3. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is video demonstrating on how to square up a half square triangle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAv9ZWATAX8

If you cut you fat quarters into 10 inch squares (https://www.patchworkposse.com/fat-q...cutting-it-up/), sew around and cut diagonally, both directions. This makes 4 half square triangles that need to be "squared-up" to 6.5 inches.

How many fat quarters did you purchase or how many fat quarters are you planning to use for your Half and Half quilt? To get 42 10 inch squares, you will need at least 21 fat quarters and at least 3.25 yards of back ground fabric!
    Last edited by shermur; March 11th, 2019 at 05:50 PM.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

5. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for responding! So if I make my squares 9 inches and sew and cut as directed, then want is the measurement I need to use to “square up” the triangles before stitching them together? I guess I do not understand the words “square up”. One more question if I may, how do I figure out what my final size will be of the quilted center part? Is there a formula or a method by which I can figure out how big my quilt piece will be before the borders and binding are added? Thank you!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Shermur,
    See here is where I am confused. I was thinking ten inch squares cut into four pieces should yield 4, 5 inch squares. So where does 6.5 inches come in to it?
    I have 12 fat quarters, and had decided to cut my squares 9 inches and use those instead of ten inch ones. But then I don’t know what my squares should “square up” to.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am terrible at math, I am pretty much a guesser. But you are confused on the order of the steps. Watch the video again and take simple notes if you need to. I did not watch the video but am familir with the method she uses and have made other quilt blocks that are similar.
    1. Cut your FQ into squares. If 10 inch then follow Jenny's video. Or cut 9 inch squares like Terry suggested so there is less left over (waste)
    2. Group your squares by twos in contrasting colors not two identical. Put them right sides together.
    3. Take one set of two squares and sew 1/4 inch on all 4 sides.
    4. Cut the squares after sewing. Make 2 diagonal cuts like a big X. Open these and press them with an iron.
    5. NOW is when you square up the blocks you just ironed. If you are starting with 10 inch blocks use Jenny's math for squaring up. If using 9 inch blocks to start my guess is 5-1/2 inches. But again I am not good with math. That number could be wrong.

If you have some fabric sitting around that you don't like I would suggest cutting it up to make a sample. When you write out instructions it always sounds harder than it really is. Good luck. You can do this!

9. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Well thats a doggone good idea, trying this with some scraps. Thanks! I get so muddled up in the forest that I forget to look at the trees!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Grammaterry, much appreciated! I’m going to try with some fabric I dont like, as someone below suggested. I get so afraid of making mistakes that I simply cant move forward. Trying with something smaller and that I have no love of will give me opportunity to experiment. You ladies are amazing, I’m so appreciative of all the kindness in your responses.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. One thing to remember is that Jenny is sewing 2 10 inch squares together then cutting them up, they would only be 4 1/2 inches each if she were working with one square, but she is using 2 so the square footage is doubled, which gets her to 6 1/2 inch pieces with extra to spare. Clear as mud?
    Pam

13. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The first time you do this method (sewing around the edges of two and then hacking them into the 4 triangles and then opening them up) will feel like magic. The suggestion to use scraps is a great one. That will tell you a lot more than any of us can do in writing, although JKaiser has done an outstanding job with her written tutorial. Try it and then get back with us.

15. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post