Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytona Beach!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Daytona Beach!

Just got back from four days in Daytona Beach. I get together with several quilting friends at my cousin's house on Thursdays. One of our friends rented an air bnb in Daytona for 3 nights and we had a sewing retreat for the 3 of us that were able to go. What a great time! We took our new to us Featherweight machines and got quit a bit done. We capped it off yesterday with a trip to the International Quilt Festival in Dayotna Beach. Great Show - unbelievable quilts and lots to see and spend $$ on. I didn't get much in the way of fabric - I already have way too much. I did invest in patterns and tools. My favorite is a set of templates to make 5" scrappy houses. Can't wait to use that! I also bought a template for an interesting EPP technique.

As a funny/sad side note, the M* booth was not nearly as crowded as in the past. I was standing within earshot of a woman who commented to BJ (I think?) that she "used to buy from M* all the time". When he asked her why she didn't anymore she said "Shipping"! It takes too long. He assured her that their shipping is much, much better now and she should give them another chance. She wasn't buying it and neither were a couple others within earshot. SIGH.

Overall a great few days and we plan to make it an annual event!
    Donna

2. Thanks pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Daytona Beach!

What a great trip for you and your cousins.

Too bad about the M* comments. Shipping is sporadic. I placed 2 orders. First on Feb 11, got it Feb 18. The 2nd one on Feb 14, I'm still waiting to get.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just realized I said International Quilt Festival - duh! It was APS Quilt Week....
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great time. I don't buy much online mainly because I am trying to use up what I have, so typically start with stash and take it to LQS to find something to match with it. I'm always nervous about colors matching unless it is from the same fabric line. As it is, I sometimes get home with my purchases and think "What was I thinking? These colors clash."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did not buy a single piece of fabric at Sew Expo this year. Just some gadgets and presser feet, along with some patterns and thread.

I wish M* had a booth at Sew Expo, but they never have. Rob is at this years, but I did not attend his classes.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to the Daytona show. I didn't know Missouri Star had a booth there.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with her on this shipping problem M* is having. Last order took 29 days to get to Hawaii. And my order now on 2/19 won't get here till March 13, ouch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes old businesses get caught in the rut that things have been working and don't keep up. NOw with all the internet competition it must be a hard game to master

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Sometimes old businesses get caught in the rut that things have been working and don't keep up. NOw with all the internet competition it must be a hard game to master
    You know, I hate to think it, but I sure get the feeling that the prevailing attitude is "take it or leave it". He just turned away and ignored what she was saying. My cousin, my friend and myself have all had terrible service and have not ordered near as much as we would have at one time. It makes me sad to see this kind of attitude coming from them.
    Donna

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Well, having helped at a friend's booth at some big quilt shops, I do have some sympathy for any vendor who has put in long hours packing up product, setting up an attractive booth and then standing on his and her feet being welcoming and agreeable to all sorts of people who come through with different attitudes and comments. I've seen my hardworking friend who designs quilt patterns listen to people say -loudly and in front of her- "Oh, I can figure out how to make that quilt without paying xyz for that pattern. Can I take a picture of your sample?" People return merchandise that has been heavily used but say "oh, this didn't work right." And, a few even steal from booths. I wonder if Missouri * could have said anything to appease this previous customer. Not having been there to see the interaction in person, I don't know. But I do know that vending at quilt shows, even smaller local ones, is a tough, tough job. Not trying to step on any toes here but just adding a different perspective.