Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP March 1 - 7, 2019

As I mentioned in last week's thread - more WiPs have joined the list. It's frustrating, since I also have a long list of quilts that I really want to make, and the back log just keeps getting longer and longer. Packing is coming along slowly, but getting there. I'm in no hurry to make this move, and the bathroom renovation at the new house needs my son to help with the new sink installation.

I think I have figured out the design wall in the studio - rigid insulation covered in cotton batting, held up by command hooks. I don't want a permanent design wall because at some point, I want to move the studio either up to an extra bedroom on the upper floor or into the basement if I ever get a long arm machine.

Winter is coming in again this weekend with more snow and/or ice foretasted. I'm getting really tired of this "almost every weekend is an ice storm" stuff.

How are things going in your world?

2. Thanks pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP March 1 - 7, 2019

I'm back from. 5 day quilt retreat. I did a lot, but not as much as I thought I would.

I made 25 kindred pinwheel blocks, but I have about that much more to make. Although fairly easy, it's the matching up of colours and avoiding repetition of fabric designs. Our sewing area could not have irons in it, so there was a a lot of getting up. I did chain piece to make it more efficient. I made 5 mug rugs with a train theme for DH. I also made 2 pillowcases for my GF to match the quilt I made. I did take advantage of snowshoeing since it was perfect snow in the mountains. One of the quilters at the retreat is also an international coach for snowshoeing , so I felt very lucky as this was my first time. My GF who came with me hand quilted the bindings for the VQC that I brought to do.

Today is loads of laundry and unpacking and setting up my sewing room. I will continue to work on the blocks and it may be faster with an iron by my side. Monday is VQC group but I will be pressing fabric and cutting kits for next month's group.

Have a good week.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks threadbndr, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Back from a 12 day fantastic cruise but with a cold. I watched the pinwheel video from Donna Jordan and I am so glad I didn't actually do anything but pet some charm squares before I left. They are not going to be what I originally thought.
    Since I have cataract surgery on Tuesday I am not sure when progress will be made but perhaps I might do some HST today.

6. Thanks pcbatiks, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilt wise I finished the Anemone Block from the Atlantis Block of the month by Southwind Designs. This is basically a series of one seam flying geese where you take the bias edge formed by the folded triangle, fold it back to form a curve (like a cathedral window) and sew the folded curved edge down.

Here is the block with the one seam flying geese units
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4901.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	157945

Here is the same block with the folded bias edges peeled back and stitched down. How cool is that!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4903.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	157946

Here is a short youtube video demonstrating the technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOX...w&index=4&t=0s

Here is my honest opinion of the process. I always try to read through and understand the directions before I try a new process. In this case I was baffled by the instructions because the nomenclature was so different from what I was used to. Since I had already cut the fabric I decided to try and follow the directions even though I could not understand them. As I followed the first steps I figured out what the directions were trying to tell me. It was perfectly clear as I followed each step in sequence with the actual fabric. Color illustrations instead of black and white would have been very helpful, but I figured it out since there are only four colors involved. The finished block is beautiful with lots of depth and dimension on the curved edges. There is considerable build up at the seam intersections. The worst case had 11 layers of fabric, even with the seams pressed open. Yikes.

Life wise it is very cold here. Snow is expected on Sunday. We endured three separate house inspections (don't ask me why one inspector couldn't do all three) and an in house appraisal. Despite the fact that the inspectors said everything was in good condition the buyers demanded that we cut the price additional thousands so they could upgrade the house. We said a firm no and refused to renegotiate the contract. After we refused to return or acknowledge the repeated calls and texts from the buyers agent they agreed to honor the original contract. I don't need this drama in my life

Since my life is a mess and half my quilt room is already packed for the move I will be doing a simple fusible applique quilt this week. Luckily Quilt In A Day had The Stag-Winter on sale last week.

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

8. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Denise, that block is amazing! The curved edges give it such movement. And kudos to you for standing your ground with the bargain-hunting home buyers.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, good luck with your surgery. When my mom had it done, she was so very happy with the results.
    Denise, hang in there on the house front. I'm rather dreading selling the old house after the move.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise , that block is beautiful. I think this may have to go on my Wish List.

I didn't accomplish much after Monday, as I started getting sick. Got better, pieced more blocks, stopped as ow I have full blown cold or allergic reaction.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.