Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: American Garden

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Garden

Hi! I just discovered the American Garden quilt with blocks representing each state flower. I love it! Would anyone know where I can find a kit? Thank you so much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: American Garden

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, MandyRae!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the party!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been making that for a while now. It is a few years old. I have all the fabrics and think I am over half done.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes been working on mine a few years to. One thing I learned from this pattern is read the pattern measurements before you buy the pattern. My local Ben Franklin featured a group of fabrics of a few states monthly. Well I seen the first group and oh so pretty. Bought the cream and a few years later began cutting. Stay organized. I put each state in an envelope, taped a scrap in the corner and wrote the name of the state on it. Well that was easy until I got to the cutting of the cream. All went well till the last cutting. 6 strips 2 5/16 x 40; crosscut 100 squares, 2 5/16 x 2 5/16' cut each square once diagonally to make 200 pf triangle F (2 5/16 falls HALFWAY between 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 on your ruler. Are you kidding me ?That is when I lost it. Packed it up for another day. Got it out a good year later and decided I could never cut that close so I cut them 3" and figured I would trim. Kinda worked, lost some points but I don't care. Had to pack it up again and put away as the grandkids sleep in my sewing room and was busy with celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and then DH funeral. Still have to put it all together. At this point I just want to get it done and I don't care how un-perfect it is. Those little triangles I was not careful with as they are on the bias. This is my nightmare quilt. Was ready to pack it up and give to Terry for the shiners. So I will never start a pattern until I read what the cutting measurements are. I'm sure other quilters have the patience to go very slow, I do not. I start a quilt and then my mind wondering to the next one I want to make and I rush. This got longer then it should have. This pattern was just annoying to me. Sorry.
    Last edited by Georgie Girl; March 1st, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

7. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    Yes been working on mine a few years to. One thing I learned from this pattern is read the pattern measurements before you buy the pattern. My local Ben Franklin featured a group of fabrics of a few states monthly. Well I seen the first group and oh so pretty. Bought the cream and a few years later began cutting. Stay organized. I put each state in an envelope, taped a scrap in the corner and wrote the name of the state on it. Well that was easy until I got to the cutting of the cream. All went well till the last cutting. 6 strips 2 5/16 x 40; crosscut 100 squares, 2 5/16 x 2 5/16' cut each square once diagonally to make 200 pf triangle F (2 5/16 falls HALFWAY between 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 on your ruler. Are you kidding me ?That is when I lost it. Packed it up for another day. Got it out a good year later and decided I could never cut that close so I cut them 3" and figured I would trim. Kinda worked, lost some points but I don't care. Had to pack it up again and put away as the grandkids sleep in my sewing room and was busy with celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and then DH funeral. Still have to put it all together. At this point I just want to get it done and I don't care how un-perfect it is. Those little triangles I was not careful with as they are on the bias. This is my nightmare quilt. Was ready to pack it up and give to Terry for the shiners. So I will never start a pattern until I read what the cutting measurements are. I'm sure other quilters have the patience to go very slow, I do not. I start a quilt and then my mind wondering to the next one I want to make and I rush. This got longer then it should have. This pattern was just annoying to me. Sorry.
    Wow. I don't even know if my rulers would have the 1/16th on them. I was looking at the link given above and I don't see any half square triangle on it. Maybe talking about two different patterns.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

No, this is the pattern. Half squares get sewn all around the 9 patch after you sew a 2 1/2 to 2 1/2 x 6 so that is 16 half squares. ugh

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did not like the cream, which was just as well because the shop was out of it. I chose a white on white that has little leaves on it and it goes well with the other fabrics.

There are a lot of triangles in this, both in the blocks and also the setting blocks. I think, or seem to recall, that I have cut out all the white. The others are all in bags, some still to be cut, others to be sewn.

One thing that bothered me was the direction some of the prints go. I think I have had to rebuy a few of them to make it to my liking.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!