Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday Trivia: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada

Some Interesting Facts about Newfoundland & Labrador:

While almost everyone just calls the province Newfoundland, that’s not entirely correct. The full name is Newfoundland & Labrador, changed in 2001 in order to recognize the enormous tract of land included within its borders.

St. John's has one of the most colorful waterfronts in the world. Did you know that the row houses were painted all different colors so the ships could see them through the fog?

Attachment 157810

The Royal St. John's Regatta is one the oldest sporting events in Canada. Held on the first Wednesday of August every year.

Attachment 157811

The first non-stop transAtlantic flight took off from St. John’s, Newfoundland and landed in Clifden in the Connemara region of western Ireland. Pilots John Alcock and Arthur Brown won the London Daily Mail prize of £10,000 for their endeavor. The prize was presented by Winston Churchill.

Signal Hill is the site of Cabot Tower and the 1762 final battle in the Seven Years’ War, Guglielmo Marconi also received the first transatlantic wireless signal here, on December 12, 1901. During spring and summer, the Signal Hill Tattoo reenacts battle scenes from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, circa 1795.

Attachment 157812

Try not to get St. John’s, Newfoundland mixed up with Saint John, New Brunswick. Many people always have a hard time remembering which city has the apostrophe in its name.

St. John’s is the oldest city in North America, founded in 1497. And Water Street is the oldest street in North America.

The largest snowfall ever recorded in one day was 68.4 cms (30 inches) on April 5, 1999.

There are more pubs per square foot on George Street in St. John’s than anywhere else in Canada.

It has its own time zone – Newfoundland time is 30 min ahead of Atlantic time and 90 minutes ahead of Eastern time.

Canine inspiration – Yes it’s true, two of the world’s most lovable dog breeds are named after both landmasses of the province: the enormous, bearlike Newfoundland or Newfie and the most popular dog breed in the world, the Labrador.

Attachment 157816. Attachment 157817

You can travel to France without leaving the province. Sort of – In what is a great example of how bizarre colonial politics were, there is a bit of France located in Newfoundland. Saint Pierre and Miquelon is a self-governing overseas collectivity of France, right off the coast of the province and the only remnant of the former New France still under French control.

Attachment 157813

Argentia, Newfoundland averages 206 days of fog per year – Because of its precarious position along the North Atlantic, Newfoundland experiences some extreme and chilly weather, including a lot of fog throughout the province.
    Vikings lived there – Long before Columbus “discovered” the New World, Vikings had already settled Newfoundland around the year 1,000. Today the site is immortalized in L’Anse aux Meadows, a Viking colony discovered in the 1960s.

Newfoundland has no crickets, porcupines, skunks, snakes or deer. They do, however, have a whole lot of moose…over 100,000.

Attachment 157814

99% of the world’s critically endangered Boreal Felt Lichen is in Newfoundland.

Attachment 157815

2. Thanks grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday Trivia: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada

We have yet to visit there.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Another trivia fact is when 911 occurred all air space was cleared. Planes were reverted to St. John's airport. The people of Newfoundland took the passengers into their homes. Two people met while their and eventually got married. Their was a documentary on TV about it and was very interesting. Maybe it's on You Tube now. We did spend 2 weeks in Newfoundland and the people are wonderful and friendly. We had an awesome time.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

An then there was also the tsunami on November 18, 1929 that hit the Burin peninsula in southern Newfoundland. The results were devastating cutting off many villages, a blizzard followed the next day and it took 3 days for rescue efforts to arrive from St John's. My Grandmother came from the village of Lawn in the south although she had migrated to the States prior to the tsunami. She had visited her relatives up there just the week before it struck with my mother. Lawn was fortunate that there were no deaths as a result . It was located right on the sea. Other neighboring towns did not do as well. The town next to them was never rebuilt. I remember my grandmother talking about it and as a result, I think, I always had a healthy respect for the ocean. (We lived in NJ on the shore). I recall her saying that many there did not know what the shaking of the ground was, they had no experience of earthquakes or tsunamis. An Uncle who had served at sea and had traveled worldwide was aware of the consequences,was aware of what the receding coastal water meant and was able to convince the town people to seek higher ground. While there were no deaths there was plenty of suffering there and locally when the blizzard then struck the next day. I remember one story they told of a light in the 2nd story window of a house being taken out to sea with a baby still in the crib. So sad. Years later there was a book written about it by survivors who had been there, one chapter was related by an Aunt Anna who now resided in Fla (or did before she passed away). I was born in late 1947 and recall my grandmother still gathering together clothes to put in a large travel barrel to send up to her relatives in Lawn. The story was always talked about when relatives came to visit so it was etched in my brain.

The people of Newfoundland have a wonderful sense of humor and tons of stamina.

I also recall that the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team had their training camp in Newfoundland for years and years which Newfoundlanders were tremendously proud of. While I was living up in Canada they closed the camp much to the anger of the locals and wider. I was always proud to say I was from Newfoundland.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    Another trivia fact is when 911 occurred all air space was cleared. Planes were reverted to St. John's airport. The people of Newfoundland took the passengers into their homes. Two people met while their and eventually got married. Their was a documentary on TV about it and was very interesting. Maybe it's on You Tube now. We did spend 2 weeks in Newfoundland and the people are wonderful and friendly. We had an awesome time.
    There were also many planes from 9/11 diverted to Gander, Newfoundland. The musical, Come From Away is the story of the small town of Gander hosted the people from the planes. It is a beautiful, uplifting story. The province is well-worth a visit.

Another bit of trivia....moose are not native to the island of Newfoundland but are native to the Labrador part of the province. They were introduced to the island in 1904. Four moose were brought in from New Brunswick and the population increased dramatically over a short time. This was the second try. An earlier try in 1878 failed.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post