Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 sewing hacks with painters tape - particularly the creation of your own loc block ruler

What a great YouTube video!
    Particularly at about 1:50 minute in. She calls the tape - masking tape. Please don't use masking tape. It will damage your machine bed or anything else you put it on. Stick with the painters tape for easy removal and no residue.
    She creates her own loc block ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIZVeB00Jk It really works, I used four layers of tape; not sure how many she used. I'm sure after a while you might have to replace the tape depending on how many hst you are fussing with.
    The other suggestions she gives are useful as well, but this little tip will save me from buying yet another template/ruler that I may not use a lot (or in some cases use at all!)
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; February 24th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5 sewing hacks with painters tape - particularly the creation of your own loc block ruler

I too liked the bloc loc tip. Thanks.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5 sewing hacks with painters tape - particularly the creation of your own loc block ruler

L
    Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    What a great YouTube video!
    Particularly at about 1:50 minute in. She calls the tape - masking tape. Please don't use masking tape. It will damage your machine bed or anything else you put it on. Stick with the painters tape for easy removal and no residue.
    She creates her own loc block ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIZVeB00Jk It really works, I used four layers of tape; not sure how many she used. I'm sure after a while you might have to replace the tape depending on how many hst you are fussing with.
    The other suggestions she gives are useful as well, but this little tip will save me from buying yet another template/ruler that I may not use a lot (or in some cases use at all!)

She is actually using painter's tape. We use the term masking tape, painter's tape and frog tape interchangeably. She's from my own province. It's not permanent and less tacky.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    L

She is actually using painter's tape. We use the term masking tape, painter's tape and frog tape interchangeably. She's from my own province. It's not permanent and less tacky.
    Thank you for the clarification. I was a bit concerned. I do restoration on vintage machines and have had to remove more masking tape from them. Ewww. I actually sent her a comment about it.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Old fashion masking tape is nasty stuff as it 'ages'. I sure used a lot of it in my teaching days. Sometimes it even smelled like bacon, brand new, makes you wonder what was used to make those batches!
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, this was a great video!
    Bloom where you are planted.....