Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: precut fabric

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default precut fabric

I have never used the precut jelly rolls so I was wondering since it has a pinking type cut to you measure 1/4" from the end or from the material. Some has a more drastic pink on it.
    Thank you

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: precut fabric

I suggest you measure your strips to see, some manufacturers measure from the outside of the pink some from the inside valley of the pink. It sure would be nice to get this standardized.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

always the outside edges, the pinked ones. hopefully they will all measure the same.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually sew the 1/4" from the outside edge of the pinking, the sharp point, otherwise your strips may not come out to the right measurement. Measuring first is a good suggestion. You'll need to be consistent with your 1/4" stitching. Sometimes I cut the 42" strips in half so the fabric is more manageable. However, that would not work if you're making a Jelly Roll Race pattern. I had one JR that actually was wider than 2.5", so it pays to measure.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

three years ago I was absolutely fascinated with jelly rolls and thought they were the end all. Now, not so much. I have a box full of odds and ends as I never seem to use all of them when making a pattern and amazingly, they don't seem to play well with each other unless I cut them down to small pieces. That being said, "no" they are not all the same width even within the same manufacturer. My goal this year is to try to use up that box of odds and ends but it grows faster than my scrap bag.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would measure as well. although they are pretty together, if you need to add more and you cut fabric, they don't add up.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.