Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Black Batting

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Batting

I'm working on a small Amish style quilt hanging. The blocks are each done in jewel-toned fabrics with black sashing and larger black borders. I'm doing it my own way so stepping outside the Amish box and using a Kaffe Fassett print for the backing (don't judge, lol - it looks so good with the blocks on front ) I have it all laid out on the table and it hit me that the natural colored batting might "beard" through. Do I need to use black batting?

Thanks for any advice you might could offer!

Iris

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Black Batting

I did a black Baltimore Album wall hanging which is in my picture gallery and I used black batting as I didn't want to see any white ' bearding' peeking through. I was very pleased with the results.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding the batting does not beard like it used to because better manufacturing procedures are used. However, using black batting will let you bright colors retain the bright colors. Using a white batting underneath will wash them out some what.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

While those manufacturers say their product doesn't beard anymore, I have a quilt on my bed right now that begs to differ!

I used black batting on Mike's orange and black quilt. No visible bearding, but it's not very old yet.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I made a quilt using Kaffee Fassett prints with black sashing and used black batting...It looks amazing when compared to the same fabric sandwiched with white or natural.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used black batting on a dark coloured quilt. Since the backing was white with gray and the black batting was showing through, I used a white batting. So it has 2 layers of batting. Black and white. It is not too thick or heavy.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

i am working on a couple quilts that are bright colors and black and guess i need to buy some black batting. i found 2 kinds of black batting. one is pellon cotton and polyester. never used that brand. the other is quilters dream which i love but it is out of stock. anybody used the pellon? its on sale at joanns today so it would be cheaper, but i could wait for other to get back in stock.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know anything about Pellon batting, but lofts up ply has the black Hobbs in stock.
    http://loftsupply.com/store.html#!/H...0&sort=nameAsc

Because they are local, the actually deliver to my door free of charge. I think their price may reflect it though. I need to check the prices, before I go to the quilt show next week, and see if they have show specials.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a mini about 15 years ago before black batting was available. It is a colored square in a square framed in all black, including black backing. I think I used warm and natural and it didn't beard up, but the black has completely faded even though it is not hanging in the sun. I think using black batting would be a great idea. Hopefully your quilt will not fade as much as mine did.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post