Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Feb 22 - 28, 2019

The thread was very quiet last week. I hope that means that everyone was busy sewing away!

I got Block 19 (of 30) for "Aunt Lottie's Garden" done and got the next block (21 of 25) for "It was the 80s" cut out. I hope to get that block pieced tomorrow and another applique block set up. I'm getting close on the blocks on both tops. Of course there's still applique borders for Aunt L and a bunch of pieced sashing for 80s with all the assembly on both - to say nothing of the quilting and binding, but I still feel like I'm approaching some milestones.

I am about to start the decreases on the top of the hat, and am steadily working on my counted thread embroidery, so all the crafting is coming right along.

Hope everybody has a good week, check in and let us know what you are working on!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Feb 22 - 28, 2019

I've been in the sewing room a lot of late. I've quilted a few charity quilts, handsewed binding on one quilt, shortened my grandson's curtains, mended a bag of grandkids' clothes (this seems to be an ongoing challenge patching knees).

I've also washed some rust coloured waffle weave fabric. I got it for $2/metre when we went out of town last week. It turned out beautiful and I got 12 towels from the 5m. Yesterday I called the store and they shipped me the remaining 7.5m. I got it this morning. Happy camper. I have the perfect fabric for making wine & cheese tea towels, chicken-farm themed towels. I think these will sell well or make nice gifts for friends.

This weekend I am focussed on a get together with friends- it's a wine and cheese/food tasting. The menu and wines are picked and set up tomorrow morning. I have cats and I can't trust them not to go on the table and buffet tonight.

Sunday I must pack for a 5 day sewing retreat. It's in cottage country on a lake, with 12 women. My GF Dorothy & I are preparing the last dinner, so we are doing a Hawaian theme meal and decor. Hoping this will be fun. This is our first sleep away retreat. I need to do groceries for the meal and make sure my sewing gear is ready to go and my projects are lined up. I may be too ambitious, but who knows.

Have a good week. I may check in only after I return.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks threadbndr, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Working away on quilts for abuse center -local one. Trying to get an early start and get these blocks put together. they are all different sizes. and these are only a small stack of blocks I'm working on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7538.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	157785

I found my crochet needles and have made 5 good sized doilies and a dozen dish cloths this past month.. My eye sight prevents me from working with small needles and threads, so I upsized the thread and walla, I have crochet my little fingers to the bone!! As soon as I starch and block them, I'll put a pic in the gallery and let ya know.

Just hoping Temps get higher and all the snow/ice goes away soon. Can't wait to see my new bulbs pop out of the ground this Spring.

6. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We rearranged some things in our den and now it's a much better layout for my cutting table & sewing machine. Then I spent a couple of days cleaning off both of those tables. Does that count as WIP's? Yesterday I decided to just sit down and sew. So I worked on my random scrap pieces quilt project. It is relaxing mindless sewing and pressing. It 's the only thing I did yesterday besides cooking something for supper. Today I did a little more big stitch quilting on the stacked coins quilt.

It feels good to have the room and sewing area straight and organized again!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

8. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH bought me an Accuquilt Baby which came last Saturday so I spent a few hours cutting flowers etc and made 4 blocks. 1 has been made into a cushion cover, 2 were used to make a wall hanging and the 4th will go into a bag, will post pics when completed.

I've also been working on my Feb UFO, hopefully that will get done by Monday, then it's on to finish a couple of Linus quilts the tops of which were donated.

I wish everyone all the best for the coming week.

10. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne, if you packed more projects than you can get to at the retreat, they'll just come home with you again. The important thing is that you enjoy yourself while you are there. I'm really looking forward to my retreat at the end of next month.

My stepdaughter, who lives about 3 hours away, came last night for a quick visit. She brought a Brooks Brothers blazer and needed to get the sleeves shortened. We had a great visit while I taught her everything I know about alterations. Well, that only took about 2 minutes, and after that we were winging it. Boy, was it was nerve wracking to cut into the sleeves, knowing how much she had paid for that blazer. Thankfully, it turned out well and she will be ready for a very important interview on Wednesday (she is hoping to be admitted to a graduate program in anesthesia).

12. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the quilting on Jewel Box but have been too busy to take a picture and post it. It is to big to hang on the fence for a picture. I should be able to post a picture next Tuesday, if not sooner.

I have been so busy because we executed a contract to sell our house in Texas on Tuesday, and jumped in the car and signed a contract on a house in Bentonville Arkansas on Thursday. Inspection on the Texas house is scheduled for Monday.

My quilting time is massively reduced. If I can get any free time I will be attempting the Anemone block from the Atlantis BOM by Annette Ornelas of Southwind Designs. This will be my first attempt at folding back a bias edge to make curves.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

14. Thanks threadbndr, sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on both house deals, DeniseSm! Hope both transactions proceed to closing with no additional drama.

16. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This winter has been so bad that besides baking, cooking, and shoveling snow, I've been stitching, but on an autumn needlepoint piece while waiting for the right silk thread to arrive (I ordered the wrong color of white from Canada). I got everything but the very top of that needlepoint done and the top is just rows of satin stitches, so that will be an easy finish. Now that I've got the right silk I started back on the Heirloom Christmas Sampler by Victoria Sampler...I discovered I'd miscounted so I had to rip out a section tonight but I think I'm on top of things now. I did most of the beading so there's just ribbon embroidery to do after this. I practiced some ribbon roses on scrap fabric earlier so I sort of remember how to do them...I think I do the spider web roses best. I hope to have it all framed this month and the autumn needlepoint done too. After that I may try making my needlepoints into pillows.

18. Thanks threadbndr, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

ACCCCKKKKK! That shout of frustration coming from Kansas is me finding yet ANOTHER tub of UFOs while packing for my upcoming move. There are four finished but unquilted tops from the 1980-90 time frame plus a half dozen to be framed needleworks plus three more unfinished needleworks plus a half dozen unstarted kits - some sewing, some needlework, some pre-printed 'cheater cloth' quilts.

I feel like I'm never going to reach the bottom of the stash and I could just KICK my younger self. What was I THINKING?

(Luckily, only one of the tops is a full sized one - there are two wall hangings about 36 inches each and a cute little mini quilt.)

20. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post