Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bias Binding for a Double Wedding Ring

To start, I do NOT need the Quilt Calculator to figure how much fabric I need. I need a way to figure the length of the bias I will need to bind a double wedding ring quilt.

I was supposed to be a King, but it actually measures 90 x90 as the person who used EQ did not realize that you lose one ring when you sew. But I can deal with that.

However not one book or pattern tells you even an approximate length! I have the John Flynn book. He gives you every other possible thing-number of arcs, melons, background and fabrics, but just says how to bind-NO guidelines for how to figure out the length you need!

I am not a calculus wiz and just cannot figure any decent idea of the length.

has anyone made a queed or king Double wedding ring and can help?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bias Binding for a Double Wedding Ring

I can't give you the length of the binding strip you would need but I do know that 1.25 yard fabric makes way more bias binding than you would need. I always worry about running out of binding when I bind scallops so I make too much.

3. Thanks JudiJR thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had to look this up on the Robert Kaufman calculator and it says bias binding total length (inches) would be 360
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not knowing the size of your arcs, it would be difficult to give you a true measurement. So what I would do is measure one full arc (outside edge) from the point where the arc starts to the point where the arc ends, add one inch to that measurement (for the mitered seam), then multiple by the total number of arcs you have. Then add another 10 to 20" for connecting the ends.

You'll probably end up with more than you need, but that's better than not enough

6. Thanks quiltingaway, Squeaky thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay75 View Post
    I had to look this up on the Robert Kaufman calculator and it says bias binding total length (inches) would be 360
    Yes, 90" x 90" = 360 linear inches of binding, BUT (and this is a big but) that is for a quilt with straight edges. It doesn't take into account the additional length needed for the arc shape, or for the miter at the end of each arc, or for the amount needed to join your ends. I think Caroline T. has nailed it.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty easy calculation. It depends on the size of your "circles." What size are your circles?
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I 'd take a tape measure, measure the edge of one of the rings and multiply that number by the number of rings. No math involved, just a tape measure and a calculator!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, measure arc, x how many around the whole quilt, and then add 30" just to be sure. Would like to see a pic of this quilt.