Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Iron recommendation

In 2018, I went through three irons. My oliso lost its legs, my panasonic died one month after the warranty and the company told me to take a hike, and my shark went into the deep water. I suppose I am unduly hard on my irons or else I use them more than what a normal person (whatever the term normal means) uses. I really really like the panasonic but am afraid to purchase another. Using a $100+ iron for 13 months and then throwing it away doesn't sound like a good fiscal move on my part. Please let me know what iron you like best, and why. Thank you Susan

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Iron recommendation

I recently bought a new Rowenta because the last one lasted me at least 15 years. The biggest problem I had with it was that ants kept building nests in the water reservoir, hardly the fault of the iron. The ants finally won, and while the iron still works, the steam has become kind of muddy. I looked at a few, but decided to stick with the one that I knew suited me.
    Lyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20plus year old rowenta that works great. Has a crack from being dropped but works. I also have an Oliso that DD gave me as a gift. I use it in the sewing room but am not impressed especially for the price

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rowenta too and I'm happy with it. I heard Bonnie Hunter say she's had her iron for something like 20 years because she doesn't ever put water in it. If she needs steam, she uses a spray bottle. I'm sure there's some truth to that, but I love my steam.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Rowenta that started leaking the week after the warranty ran out. I mostly use a Black and Decker that I have had for 10 or more years. Still works great. I'll buy another one when this one quits.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Reliable makes an awesome iron. I use distilled water in mine and it has last for close to 10 years. The steam output can’t be beat! Highly recommend!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Black & Decker, which is very reliable. The first one I bought a few years ago on a clearance sale for only 5 bucks. I paid the reg. price this time from Amazon -- maybe $20. or so. With the first one, I used distilled water, but I'm using tap water with this one, per the instructions. It's heavier than other irons, but it's not a problem. I just can't justify spending big bucks on an iron when they need to be replaced so often. As quilters, we really use our irons.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the Oliso for close to 4 years. Despite my abuse of dropping it (oops, several times and I would never admit this to DH) on the carpeted concrete floor, it's still works. The spray comes out at an angle, but works generally. I use it a lot, so does DH. We did get it as a show special for $140CDN, so about $100US.

I have back up irons that I had before quilting, and. It expensive. I thip k one is a T-Fal and the other Black and Decker.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rowenta and a Black & Decker. Have had both for many years. I think it's best to buy a cheap iron as it seems like the more expensive ones don't last very long or have too many negatives. I had an Oliso given me as a gift and, to quote my dear Mom, "it didn't last p**sin' time".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Oliso and requested a new one for Christmas. My first one kept doing jumping jacks, then cutting off. It lived a hard life. This new one has had an easier start, as I haven't been using it as much. Anyway, they've made some changes from my first to this one. The shot of steam is way more powerful! I've really enjoyed that feature. Since I'm doing smaller projects, it stays hot while I'm going back and forth from the sewing machine to the ironing board.

I hope you find an iron you love.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou