Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trigger warning.needle injury story and Questions.

Well yesterday I felt I had really joined the sewing circle. I sewed a needle into my index finger all the way through. It was very painful and scary. The needle broke, my husband pulled it out with pliers and I got a tetanus shot. I canít believe it happened. My mother-in-law says it happens to the best of them. Does it? How did my finger get underneath that needle? Has this happened to you? And if it did has it happened again?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, birdscraps thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trigger warning.needle injury story and Questions.

I did it once and to this day I still couldn't tell you how I did it. Like you, it broke off and thank heavens my husband was home and managed to pull it out. Now I watch my fingers! :-)
    Debbie

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, I am always scared of this! I have come close a couple of times. Feel better soon

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

yep, happened to me...twice. The last time the machine stopped and my finger was pinned under the presser foot with the needle all the way thru my finger. I manually lifted the fly wheel and the needled came out. Thank goodness it was a good sharp needle that came out clean. And like you, no idea how I got my hand under that needle.

8. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me about 20 years ago. It was late one night and I was machine appliqueing some t-shirts for a craft show I was selling in and on a deadline. I was so tired and should not have been sewing. Like the others, I have no idea how my index finger got under the needle but it did and it went all the way through. I screamed and my husband and kids came running. My husband took one look at the mess and said "we're going to the ER." It hurt like crazy but he said he was afraid to pull out the needle and do more damage. The ER doctor insisted on giving me a shot to numb my finger before he pulled it out. I think that was actually the most painful part. One tetanus shot later and I got sent home. Have come close a few times since then.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Gaye

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did it just about a year ago. DON'T know how it happened. Went through my nail and into my finger.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

The closest I've come is sewing the fingertip of my glove to the quilt. It was good for a laugh, but also a wakeup call. Sometimes Reddog's mind is elsewhere. Gotta pay attention!

BTW- any tension issues when sewing flesh?
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me recently but it was my own stupidity. Thankfully, the needle did not go all the way through my finger or fingernail but did go into the side of my finger next to the nail. It was my stupidity because I didn't change out my zipper foot after I was done sewing on a zipper. The zipper foot is open on the sides and doesn't have any protection when you "push" fabric through. I was even dumber when I allowed it to happen twice before I changed the foot (and got major band-aids)! Live and Learn!!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It happened to me for the first, and I hope only, time just a couple weeks ago. The needle went down and did not come up....all I could do was sit there in disbelief. It was on the new machine and I had to figure out what button to push to get it to come back up...did not occur to me to turn the wheel!

By the way, this is how she got her name. After biting me, I named her Nipsy!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

18. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, caught my nail and the tip of my finger. Very scary. I was pushing a backpack strap through, not making a quilt. Guess I should stick to quilting. I hate repairing stuff.

20. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post