Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh no!!!! Please help

While laying out the back and front with the batting, I discovered the length of the back is longer than the top. It is longer at each end the width of the edge I put on. The quilt width is fine. Can I fold the extra over as binding and use the binding I made on the sides? Or should I cut it off and just finish? I am the one that always says " measure TWICE, cut once". I should take my own advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190131_102107.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	157706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190131_071237.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	157707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190125_110959_hdr.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	157708  

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oh no!!!! Please help

I always leave a few extra inches of batting and batting. I trim the excess away after the quilting is complete and then attach my binding. Hope that helps!

3. Thanks cv quilter, gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The backing is supposed to be at least 3" wider & longer than the quilt top, all the way around. Do you plan to quilt it yourself, or send it to a LAer? A LAer will want at least 6-8" more all the way around. No, do not fold over the extra. Quilt it first, then trim any extra, squaring up the corners. Binding strips need to be made separately & sewn on separately.

5. Thanks cv quilter, gmpintos thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to hand quilt it originally, but I don't have the time. I am not practiced enough to machine quilt it myself. So I will tie this qulit. I still have enough white. Would a 6" strip of white across the top and bottom be a better solution ?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My backing is always bigger than the actual top. I trim it off after quilting, then add the binding.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

8. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My backing and batting is always bigger than the top, I would say approx a hand's width. After quilting I trim the batting and backing even with the edge of the top, it is about the only time I use scissirs instead of a rotary cutter, and I slice that extra yardage and batting off cutting them at the same time, not separately. Would you consider big stitching the quilt? That method goes really fast and it is fun.

10. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have read this three times. Is your back big enough to cover your top? And what I think I hear you saying is that you have more back on two ends than your top.If that is what you are saying, don't wo iorry. Just quilt it, then trim it and bind it.
    If that is not what you are saying and the other thing I think you might be saying is that you don't have enough back to cover two of the sides but too much on the other two. In that case, you can use some strips to make it fit.

12. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never fold the back over to the front. I always make separate binding strips. If your backing width just comes to the edge of your top on the sides already, I don't see how this would work out without looking wonky.

14. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am confused his your back larger than your top ?

16. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If I am reading this correctly, you had hoped for a 2 sided quilt - so you made two different quilt "tops" and want to quilt them together. And the back is longer than the front. If you want them to line up correctly you are either going to need to take some inches off the back or add the inches to the front so they are the same size. THEN you need to add some extra fabric all around the back for any shrinkage when you quilt. I have never tied a quilt but I would suspect for a tied quilt you would need much less fabric around then for a traditional quilted one.
    Debbie

18. Thanks Old Newbie, gmpintos thanked for this post