Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finishing hexie quilt ??

Okay, scatter brained as I am today..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0380.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	157682 I'm coming to the end of my hexies... yippee!

Now to my question about this quilt...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0351.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	157681

I'm when I'm done adding all of those scrappy flowers to the quilt, I'm thinking I would like to have an eyelet border. I'm pretty sure the flowers will hang off the top of the bed so I'm thinking I'd like an eyelet border (like a dust ruffle).

Should I have it quilted first, then bind it and stitch the eyelet to the binding? I'm brain storming here, any advice will be appreciated because I'm realizing I'm coming close to the end and have no idea what to do to finish it!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. Thanks TMP, Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finishing hexie quilt ??

Love that idea of the eyelet drop ... sorry, I have no idea as to how it should be added ... will be following to see what advice will be shared ... your quilt is beautiful!

4. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something that popped into my head, square it up with a narrow stop border. then add the eyelet border. I don't know.
    Katrina

― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kat...Will it be a gathered eyelet trim that you buy by the yard or eyelet yardage that will lay flat? I'm leaning toward adding the eyelet after the quilting is done. That way you can trim your edges and square things up a little. I've seen how tight the edges are pulled on the LAQ machines...do it after.

7. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely idea! I agree with doing it after the quilting, and make it part of your binding step. Not only would you then be able to square up the quilt first, but also you don't need to worry about the Longarmer accidentally going to far off the edge and quilting thru your eyelet fabric.

As to how to do it....I would definitely do a practice piece to figure it out, but here's a video that may be helpful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHe5nHmq69Q
    Last edited by Caroline T.; February 18th, 2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

9. Thanks KPH, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    What a lovely idea! I agree with doing it after the quilting, and make it part of your binding step. Not only would you then be able to square up the quilt first, but also you don't need to worry about the Longarmer accidentally going to far off the edge and quilting thru your eyelet fabric.

As to how to do it....I would definitely do a practice piece to figure it out, but here's a video that may be helpful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHe5nHmq69Q
    I'm bookmarking that! It actually looks do-able.
    Katrina

― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought: Since you have done all this handwork and if your eyelet is yardage why not cut strips the width that you want, sew them together like a giant picture frame. Make sure you do the math right so you have enough of the frame that would be under the edge of your flowers. Don't cut the edge of your flowers off, leave the hexie shape alone. Now lay your top down on top of the frame, pin it down, baste around your flower edges, and then hand applique it down. I like the idea of the hexie edge not a strait edge. If you don't have a large space you could do the top and bottom edges, and then the two sides.

12. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with surfergirl. You have put so much effort into making the hexies, I wouldn't want to square them off. If you want the ruffle instead of frame I would be inclined to make your finished ruffle and stitch it to the back side of your quilt top. Ok, I'm rambling now there are so many ideas going through my head.

14. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Katrina, such a labor of love......and oh my the patience to make this kind of quilt! It’ll be gorgeous whatever you do, cause it’s gorgeous now!

16. Thanks KPH thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I like surfergirl's idea of making a frame....what if you sewed the eyelet to the binding like you are adding pipeing. So the binding would attached like an open book, then enclose the seam and sew the back....beautiful work!!!

18. Thanks KPH thanked for this post