• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanted
    Prairie Pointer
    • Jul 2013

Iron recommendation

In 2018, I went through three irons. My oliso lost its legs, my panasonic died one month after the warranty and the company told me to take a hike, and my shark went into the deep water. I suppose I am unduly hard on my irons or else I use them more than what a normal person (whatever the term normal means) uses. I really really like the panasonic but am afraid to purchase another. Using a $100+ iron for 13 months and then throwing it away doesn't sound like a good fiscal move on my part. Please let me know what iron you like best, and why. Thank you Susan
  • justLyn
    Applique Angel
    • Oct 2018

Re: Iron recommendation

I recently bought a new Rowenta because the last one lasted me at least 15 years. The biggest problem I had with it was that ants kept building nests in the water reservoir, hardly the fault of the iron. The ants finally won, and while the iron still works, the steam has become kind of muddy. I looked at a few, but decided to stick with the one that I knew suited me.
    Lyn in Florida

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
    🙄

Comment

• grammaterry
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2015

I have a 20plus year old rowenta that works great. Has a crack from being dropped but works. I also have an Oliso that DD gave me as a gift. I use it in the sewing room but am not impressed especially for the price
      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
      Terry of NC

Comment

• chelea
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

I have a Rowenta too and I'm happy with it. I heard Bonnie Hunter say she's had her iron for something like 20 years because she doesn't ever put water in it. If she needs steam, she uses a spray bottle. I'm sure there's some truth to that, but I love my steam.
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
        To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Navy Wife
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2013

I had a Rowenta that started leaking the week after the warranty ran out. I mostly use a Black and Decker that I have had for 10 or more years. Still works great. I'll buy another one when this one quits.

Comment

• SuzyQue
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2010

Reliable makes an awesome iron. I use distilled water in mine and it has last for close to 10 years. The steam output can’t be beat! Highly recommend!

Comment

• JCY
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2013

I have a Black & Decker, which is very reliable. The first one I bought a few years ago on a clearance sale for only 5 bucks. I paid the reg. price this time from Amazon -- maybe $20. or so. With the first one, I used distilled water, but I'm using tap water with this one, per the instructions. It's heavier than other irons, but it's not a problem. I just can't justify spending big bucks on an iron when they need to be replaced so often. As quilters, we really use our irons.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

I've had the Oliso for close to 4 years. Despite my abuse of dropping it (oops, several times and I would never admit this to DH) on the carpeted concrete floor, it's still works. The spray comes out at an angle, but works generally. I use it a lot, so does DH. We did get it as a show special for $140CDN, so about $100US.

I have back up irons that I had before quilting, and. It expensive. I thip k one is a T-Fal and the other Black and Decker.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• sew-what2015
                  The Guild President
                  • Jul 2015

I have a Rowenta and a Black & Decker. Have had both for many years. I think it's best to buy a cheap iron as it seems like the more expensive ones don't last very long or have too many negatives. I had an Oliso given me as a gift and, to quote my dear Mom, "it didn't last p**sin' time".

Comment

• KPH
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2015

I love my Oliso and requested a new one for Christmas. My first one kept doing jumping jacks, then cutting off. It lived a hard life. This new one has had an easier start, as I haven't been using it as much. Anyway, they've made some changes from my first to this one. The shot of steam is way more powerful! I've really enjoyed that feature. Since I'm doing smaller projects, it stays hot while I'm going back and forth from the sewing machine to the ironing board.

I hope you find an iron you love.
                    Katrina
                    From NC, retired in FL
                    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Patsquilting
                      The Guild President
                      • Dec 2014

I had a Rowenta and after a couple of months spit and leaked. My black & decker has lasted many years. I want one of the Olliso's but cannot justify the cost. If I see a iron in really good shape at a consignment shop, I will pick it up.

Comment

• PamelaOry
                        Applique Angel
                        • Jan 2019

I too love my oliso. I’ve used it daily for 3+ years now. About 4 months ago it started not lifting and the motor sounded strained but I unplugged and replugged it and it’s still working. I did buy myself a replacement one for Christmas because I thought this one was on its last legs but it’s still going strong so the other one is still in the box. I suppose I should get it out and use it for a couple days, just make sure everything is working ok.

I keep my iron set so all I have to do is grab the handle and it turns on, very convenient with the fast heat up time an auto off. It’s always just there for me when I need it.
                        Pam

Comment

• Deegles
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2014

My old Rowenta is great. When looking for an iron, make sure it is NOT made in china and that it is NOT reconditioned. Most things in big box stores are built with the china knock off syndrome and longevity is questionable. My old iron is made in Germany and I found it at Tuesday Morning for a fraction of the price. Good Luck!
                          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• KarenC
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2015

Interesting thread. I am terrible with iro b s, and I am a strong believer that no matter how much I spend, they don't last for me. I never leave water in it, but still the iron will decide to spit. One of the best for retaining the heat was a $15 iron I bought at Joanna for $8 three years ago. It finally just quit on me last month. Meanwhile, I've also had $200 irons that lasted only one year. I guess I'm just rough on them, or I'm a jinx, just don't know.
                            Karen
                            Spring, TX

Comment

• MRoy
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2011

I got a Panasonic cordless iron last year and I wouldn't buy another one. An iron I bought at Dollar General stays hotter than the Panasonic and steams better.
                              *~* Myrna *~*
                              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
                              X