Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Iron recommendation

I had a Rowenta and after a couple of months spit and leaked. My black & decker has lasted many years. I want one of the Olliso's but cannot justify the cost. If I see a iron in really good shape at a consignment shop, I will pick it up.

2. Thanks Deegles thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I too love my oliso. I’ve used it daily for 3+ years now. About 4 months ago it started not lifting and the motor sounded strained but I unplugged and replugged it and it’s still working. I did buy myself a replacement one for Christmas because I thought this one was on its last legs but it’s still going strong so the other one is still in the box. I suppose I should get it out and use it for a couple days, just make sure everything is working ok.

I keep my iron set so all I have to do is grab the handle and it turns on, very convenient with the fast heat up time an auto off. It’s always just there for me when I need it.
    Pam

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My old Rowenta is great. When looking for an iron, make sure it is NOT made in china and that it is NOT reconditioned. Most things in big box stores are built with the china knock off syndrome and longevity is questionable. My old iron is made in Germany and I found it at Tuesday Morning for a fraction of the price. Good Luck!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. I am terrible with iro b s, and I am a strong believer that no matter how much I spend, they don't last for me. I never leave water in it, but still the iron will decide to spit. One of the best for retaining the heat was a $15 iron I bought at Joanna for $8 three years ago. It finally just quit on me last month. Meanwhile, I've also had $200 irons that lasted only one year. I guess I'm just rough on them, or I'm a jinx, just don't know.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Panasonic cordless iron last year and I wouldn't buy another one. An iron I bought at Dollar General stays hotter than the Panasonic and steams better.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    I too love my oliso. I’ve used it daily for 3+ years now. About 4 months ago it started not lifting and the motor sounded strained but I unplugged and replugged it and it’s still working. I did buy myself a replacement one for Christmas because I thought this one was on its last legs but it’s still going strong so the other one is still in the box. I suppose I should get it out and use it for a couple days, just make sure everything is working ok.

I keep my iron set so all I have to do is grab the handle and it turns on, very convenient with the fast heat up time an auto off. It’s always just there for me when I need it.
    I had similar problems with my Oliso (past warranty). If you contact them, you can get a new one from them for less than 1/2 the price. I sent my old one back to them and received a new one. It's been great.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Alina, Really??? They sent you a new one for a lesser price? I have to remember that. Mine is 2 or 3 years old and I've been wondering about how long it will be before I have to replace mine. Mine wants to leak water sometimes.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my cordless Panasonic. I have had it for years. I don't put water in it, just use a spray bottle. Before that, I had a Black and Decker which lasted for several years. Although the water reservoir cracked early on, (Mr. Nobody kept dropping it).

Just checked my Amazon account. I bought the Panasonic in Feb 2014 for $54.99. I remember paying $75 for the Black and Decker.
    Last edited by Vonnie; February 19th, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Vonnie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have had two Rowenta irons that leaked horribly. I seem to go through irons rather quickly. A month ago I bought a Black and Decker iron called The Classic that is an old style, heavy iron. It shuts off after 8 minutes if it isn't used and takes a long time to reheat. Today I put water in it for the first time to press some quilt blocks. It spit so badly that it soaked my ironing board. I like to press with steam when piecing. So, it will be going to the dumpster.

I am convinced that if an iron company would make an iron for quilters that would not shut off if not used for a full hour, would have reliable steam capacity with no leaking, and make the heat a good hot even heat they would get rich.

Jan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jan.....you really need to check out the Relable brand of iron. It has a button that allows you to by pass the shut off function, so you can leave the iron on all day if you like. It has awesome steam, with a burst of steam button, too. Nice even heat, nice weight, everything you ask for. Oh, yes, never leaks or spits! I have had one for years and years and years and it is still working perfectly. I do use distilled water, per instructions, but it is worth it for such a great iron!