• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threadbndr
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2017

WiP Feb 15 - 21, 2019

Folks, I swear that groundhog lied to us. Here in eastern Kansas we are in the middle of a snowstorm. It's tapering off at about 4 inches, with more forecast for tomorrow afternoon. UGH.

But at least it's good for staying inside and stitching! I got block 18 of Aunt Lottie's Garden appliqued this week and have marked the turn lines for block 19. Hopefully I'll get that one basted yet this afternoon. And I went by my local knitting store on the way home from work last night and picked up a shorter needle, so the hat to match the orange 'guy cowl' is at last under way.

I'm hoping to spend all day tomorrow crafting, so I'm going to put on a crock pot in the morning and just hibernate again this weekend.

Everybody stay safe if you are in an area where the weather is ick.
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: WiP Feb 15 - 21, 2019

We got a brief warming spell and the daffodils are all blooming here. Almost a month early. Quilt wise I just finished the quilting on the Jewel Box. I need to do the finishing work of making and attaching a hanging sleeve and the binding. Hope to finish by Sunday (maybe not, that is a lot of binding.)
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2015

I'm happy our big snowfall this week is behind us. We got ~14" of snow. Thankfully, we were spared the freezing rain. Groundhog predictions are hilarious here. I don't expect to see the lawn until mid April. I can only remember 1 year in past 20, where we were doing yardwork in mid-March. So this is quilting time for me.

Quilting-wise, yesterday I worked on finishing a top for VQC. I got it and another sandwiched, and quilted one of them. Since these are about 52x70" I can quilt fairly quickly on Sweet 16. These are not to be anything fancy, mostly functional. A guild member gave us 6 tops. This week I went to my GF, and we matched some fabrics for binding and to up-size to required size. I want to get these done quickly as they have a faint musty smell. I plan on washing on the sanitize cycle to get out smell after they are quilted. Any other suggestions?

Plan for the week-- sew/quilt VQC tops.-- shorten GS curtains and mending GKs clothes -- plan out projects for next week quilt retreat -- plan group meal to bring -- bake cookies to bring. Get haircut and nails done. Visit friends out-of-town and go to wake for GF's mom. Visit mom, hope she has not developed a bronchitis/pneumonia.

Whew, I'm exhausted just looking at my list. Better get cracking.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• threadbndr
        Batting Beauty
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
        I'm happy our big snowfall this week is behind us. We got ~14" of snow. Thankfully, we were spared the freezing rain.
        I cannot imagine 14 inches of snow at one time! We usually just get 1 to 3 at a time, and it usually melts in between. A few years it didn't melt and we ended up with about 10 inches on the ground, but that's unusual. The problem with this snow now is that it came with freezing rain and warm enough ground (it had been almost 50 degrees F on Thursday) that there was ice underneath. We had some major interstate pile ups (one had about 40 vehicles in it!!) in eastern Kansas and western Missouri . And tragically, there were fatalities. So sad.
        Last edited by threadbndr; February 16, 2019, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by threadbndr View Post
          I cannot imagine 14 inches of snow at one time! We usually just get 1 to 3 at a time, and it usually melts in between. A few years it didn't melt and we ended up with about 10 inches on the ground, but that's unusual. The problem with this snow now is that it came with freezing rain and warm enough ground (it had been almost 50 degrees F on Thursday) that there was ice underneath. We had some major interstate pile ups (one had about 40 vehicles in it!!) in eastern Kansas and western Missouri . And tragically, there were fatalities. So sad.
          This one was not the worst we've had but it was all over in less than a day. Now it's sunny and milder, but we still won't see grass for a few months.

I have seen the pile-up on the weather channel. I think what makes it different is that we have snow tires. These are different than all season and provide traction on ice and snow. We have had pile ups also, but fewer fatalities.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
          X