Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Self binding baby quilt

I watched the tutorial for the self binding baby quilt. It indicated that the backing needs to be 10 inches bigger than the front and they were using a piece that was 48 inches wide. So most material is not that wide. Can you buy baby flannel large enough to accommodate that? Obviously a fabric that is sold ay MSQ was used but I couldn’t find anything that wide on the web site.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Self binding baby quilt

I have used stash fabric and just made sure that one was 10 inches larger, worked for me.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I am attempting to complete this "easy" baby blanket. I understand how to do the binding etc. But...I Cannot, cannot get my materials square. Therefore the blanket does not go together. Help, I need to understand how to cut these large squares. Or any square for that matter!!!

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a great tutorial I found about squaring fabric. http://www.thewillowmarket.com/how-t...hwork-squares/
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I love this idea of self binding.

Is the reason the larger square is 10" bigger on each side so that the binding edge ends up at ~5"? So, if you want only ~3", you'd make the larger square only 6" larger on each side, right?

My goodness, I see so many projects ideas that could incorporate this technique.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The object is to have the larger square big enough to make the size border you want around your center. There are many variations you can make on this pattern. I have seen a piece of batting inserted and some quilting done in the center....cute. These blankets make great gifts and new Moms just love them, especially if you make a few burp cloths to go with them. A friend of mine made a large number of these to take to the nursing home. She made them longer and added a pocket for tissues, glasses, etc.

8. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thayer Abaigael View Post
    I love this idea of self binding.

Is the reason the larger square is 10" bigger on each side so that the binding edge ends up at ~5"? So, if you want only ~3", you'd make the larger square only 6" larger on each side, right?

My goodness, I see so many projects ideas that could incorporate this technique.
    I usually make my center square 30" and the larger square 40". Using this size I end up with about a 2.5" border/binding. Today quite by accident I used a 30" center and a 38" larger square, because the fabric wasn't wide enough for 40". Using this size the border/binding is about 2". I don't understand the math involved but it looks like the bigger size is about 4 times the width of what the finished binding ends up being. I hope that makes sense.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Bubby,
    You mentioned that you had seen batting used in these self- binding blankets. I make a lot of these for donation. I have yet to figure out how to put even a thin batting in the blankets without having it doubled over in the binding part. Can you share, how it was done? TIA
    Kathy