Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Todayís frustration

Iím working on the MSQC Under Construction quilt for our grandson. I have 2 3/4Ē squares that go on in each corner of a 5x10 rectangle. The square is marked, and sewn corner to corner, opposite ends of the rectangle at a time. Does that make sense?

Now that Iím pressing and trimming, almost every square is sewn off of the mark. That error occurs at the beginning of the seam. I go back and redo that corner so that itís exactly on the mark.

Once done with this set, I have to go back and do the opposite corners. Iíve attached a photo of a finished rectangle.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to do it so that I donít have a repeat performance?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BAA29A5-DFF9-4F82-A2E2-236C8A15AF12.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	157647

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Todayís frustration

It may just be the picture, but your rectangle appears narrower on the left end.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It has happened to me. Hate snowballing.
    I'd suggest you practice on scrap fabrics and sew a thread away from the diagonal line, towards the corner.

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It always seems to me that I have done everything just right and the same thing may occur. Sometimes it doesn't. Preeti probably has a pretty good hint there.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This has helped me:
    1. Use spray starch on all your fabric prior to cutting. This will stiffen everything up and the pieces are less likely to shift.
    2. Draw the diagonal line from corner to corner on your small squares. Yes it takes extra time but it's worth it not to be aggravated.
    3. Sew one needles-width inside the drawn line.
    4. Be very careful when pressing not to distort the block. Finger press your seam open before using the iron. If you've used starch, the fabric will be easy to manipulate.

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something else since you said your problem is happening at the beginning of the seam: you might need to use a starter scrap/leader to feed under the presser foot before you put your pieces through.

9. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely use a starter scrap of fabric. Absolutely sew 1 needle width outside the line. I don't draw the line, but I press the squares in half like Jenny does. Sew just outside the fold line. The finger pressing works well, too, before you press. Do not cut the extra fabric off until you have pressed the corners. Your snowball should just come to the edge of the block. Then it's ok to trim the layer underneath. I learned this trick from Donna Jordan. It works so much better than trimming first, then pressing, & is more accurate. When you've sewn, pressed, trimmed, then square up the block if needed. ( Make sure you've cut all your snowball squares are the same size. )

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Joy and Chelea are on the right track. Starch, finger pressing, and sewing one thread off the center. But in your photo, I agree that the left definitely looks narrower than the right side. You might have to scrap that block or take it apart.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a 1/4" presser foot with a guide on it? If so, the guide bar may be pulling or pushing your fabric as you sew.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*