• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tntfox
    Beginning Stitcher
    • Oct 2015

Today’s frustration

I’m working on the MSQC Under Construction quilt for our grandson. I have 2 3/4” squares that go on in each corner of a 5x10 rectangle. The square is marked, and sewn corner to corner, opposite ends of the rectangle at a time. Does that make sense?

Now that I’m pressing and trimming, almost every square is sewn off of the mark. That error occurs at the beginning of the seam. I go back and redo that corner so that it’s exactly on the mark.

Once done with this set, I have to go back and do the opposite corners. I’ve attached a photo of a finished rectangle.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to do it so that I don’t have a repeat performance?

Thanks!

7BAA29A5-DFF9-4F82-A2E2-236C8A15AF12.jpeg
  • auntstuff
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2017

Re: Today’s frustration

It may just be the picture, but your rectangle appears narrower on the left end.
    She who dies with the most quilts is......
    Still dead.
    What's your hurry?

Comment

• Preeti
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2014

It has happened to me. Hate snowballing.
      I'd suggest you practice on scrap fabrics and sew a thread away from the diagonal line, towards the corner.
      Preeti
      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

• grammaterry
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

It always seems to me that I have done everything just right and the same thing may occur. Sometimes it doesn't. Preeti probably has a pretty good hint there.
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• chelea
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

This has helped me:
          1. Use spray starch on all your fabric prior to cutting. This will stiffen everything up and the pieces are less likely to shift.
          2. Draw the diagonal line from corner to corner on your small squares. Yes it takes extra time but it's worth it not to be aggravated.
          3. Sew one needles-width inside the drawn line.
          4. Be very careful when pressing not to distort the block. Finger press your seam open before using the iron. If you've used starch, the fabric will be easy to manipulate.
          Michele
          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• chelea
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

Something else since you said your problem is happening at the beginning of the seam: you might need to use a starter scrap/leader to feed under the presser foot before you put your pieces through.
            Michele
            ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
            To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• JCY
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2013

Absolutely use a starter scrap of fabric. Absolutely sew 1 needle width outside the line. I don't draw the line, but I press the squares in half like Jenny does. Sew just outside the fold line. The finger pressing works well, too, before you press. Do not cut the extra fabric off until you have pressed the corners. Your snowball should just come to the edge of the block. Then it's ok to trim the layer underneath. I learned this trick from Donna Jordan. It works so much better than trimming first, then pressing, & is more accurate. When you've sewn, pressed, trimmed, then square up the block if needed. ( Make sure you've cut all your snowball squares are the same size. )

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

I think Joy and Chelea are on the right track. Starch, finger pressing, and sewing one thread off the center. But in your photo, I agree that the left definitely looks narrower than the right side. You might have to scrap that block or take it apart.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• MRoy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2011

Are you using a 1/4" presser foot with a guide on it? If so, the guide bar may be pulling or pushing your fabric as you sew.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
                  X