Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Width of binding on self binding blanket

If I cut the 2 pieces of fabric for a self binding blanket one 40"x40" and the other one 50"x50", how wide will the binding be on each side? And should I use 1/4" seams or 1/2" seams? I'm thinking 50-40=10-1 (If I take 1/2" seam allowance)=9, divided by the 2 sides-4.5" or do I need to divide that by 2 again as half the fabric will be on front and half on back? I do not want to end up with a 4.5" border on all sides as I feel that is too wide. Appreciate any answers!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Width of binding on self binding blanket

I use 1/4" seams. With 10" difference you should have a 2 1/4 " border. Divide you 10" difference in quarters, 5" on each side which will end up being half on front, half on back.(Minus the S.A.)
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, big math for so early in the morning. Thanks for asking. Welcome to the board, Lots of answers here.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I thought there might be some confusion with all the math questions in the original post. Turns out I was the one confused. There is a different method for a self-binding baby blanket and a self binding quilt. The blanket is just two pieces (no batt) which makes it suitable for turning. The quilt has batting, so rolling the back onto the front is the method for binding.

Part of the reason for my confusion is that bakermom mentioned equal amounts of binding on front and back. Neither method would have any visible binding on the back- it's all the same fabric on the back.

My thoughts- If you are using the turning method that's used in the blanket you are not stuck with the wide binding. All the tutorials I've seen call for a 10" difference between the top and back size. You're not required to adhere to that size. Make the back whatever size you want to control the width seen on the front. Sewing and turning method would be the same. It's needs to be equal all around for the metered corners to work out.

The quilt uses a different process where you roll the back onto the front. Method shown in this flick- http://cluckclucksew.com/2014/01/bin...uilt-back.html
    Last edited by oldmanquilts; February 16th, 2019 at 09:25 AM.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-