Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday Trivia: New Mexico

Some Interesting Facts about New Mexico:

Santa Fe is the highest capital city in the United States at 7,000 feet above sea level.

Each October Albuquerque hosts the world's largest international hot air balloon fiesta.

Las Cruces makes the world's largest enchilada the first weekend in October at the "Whole Enchilada Fiesta".

Lakes and Rivers make up only .002% of the state's total surface area. The lowest water-to-land ratio of all 50 states. Most of New Mexico's lakes are man-made reservoirs. A dam on the Rio Grande formed the Elephant Butte Reservoir the state's largest lake.

The Rio Grande is New Mexico's longest river and runs the entire length of New Mexico.

The world's first Atomic Bomb was detonated on July 16, 1945 on the White Sands Testing Range near Alamogordo. North of the impact point a small placard marks the area known as Trinity Site. The bomb was designed and manufactured in Los Alamos.

White Sands National Monument is a desert, not of sand, but of gleaming white gypsum crystals. The white dunes stretch 275 square miles and stay cool in the sun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08D122CD-E561-462F-89F3-E7E7385B87C0.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	157576

Grants was at one time known as the "Carrot capital of the country" until the process of cellophane wrapping began and California took over title. More recently Grants has been known as the "Uranium capital of the world" and produced the bulk of the nation's uranium supply during the post-World War II and Cold War era.

New Mexico is one of the four corner states. Bordering at the same point with Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

The Palace of Governors in Santa Fe, built in 1610, is one of the oldest public buildings in America.

Name:	DA70AEE4-F980-4BD0-BDF3-01BFD3DC1238.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	157580

More than 25,000 Anasazi sites have been identified in New Mexico by archeologists. The Anasazi, an amazing civilization who were the ancestors of the Pueblo, where around for 1300 years. Their great classical period lasted from 1100-1300 AD.

Name:	7EEA070E-6F68-409C-B05A-C055E6BF552D.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	157581

The leaves of the Yucca, New Mexico's state flower, can be used to make rope, baskets and sandals.

1/4 of New Mexico is forested, and the state has 7 National Forests including the Nation's largest, the 3.3 million acre Gila National Forest which includes the Gila Wilderness.

In 1950 the little cub that was to become the National Fire Safety symbol Smokey Bear (not Smokey the Bear) was found trapped in a tree when his home in Lincoln National Forest was destroyed by fire. In 1963, in Smokey's honor, the New Mexican legislature chose the black bear to be the official state animal.

Name:	F9CED6BD-2449-4C49-8E16-66EF26D5B2EC.jpeg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	157579

The word "Pueblo" is used to describe a group of people, a town, or an architectural style. There are 19 Pueblo groups that speak 4 distinct languages. The Pueblo people of the southwest have lived in the same location longer than any other culture in the Nation.

The Navajo, the Nation's largest Native American Group, have a reservation that covers 14 million Acres.

To a certain degree New Mexico's Indian Reservations function as states within a state where tribal law may supersede state law.

New Mexico's State Constitution officially states that New Mexico is a bilingual State, and 1 out of 3 families in New Mexico speak Spanish at home.

In some isolated villages, such as Truchas, Chimayo', and Coyote in north-central New Mexico, some descendants of Spanish conquistadors still speak a form of 16th century Spanish used no where else in the world today.

At Lake Valley, miners discovered silver in veins so pure that the metal could be sawn off in blocks, instead of having to be dug out by traditional methods.

After WWII Los Alamos and Albuquerque had many new laboratories. Hundreds of highly educated Scientists and Engineers moved in the state. New Mexico soon had a higher percentage of people with Ph.D.s than any other state.

Public education was almost non-existent in New Mexico until the end of the 19th century. As late as 1888 there was not a single public college or high school in the entire territory.

New Mexico has far more sheep and cattle than people. There are only about 12 people per square mile.

Since New Mexico's climate is so dry 3/4 of the roads are left unpaved. The roads don't wash away.

During the height of the so-called lawless era of the late 1800' when Lew Wallace served as territorial Governor, he wrote the popular historical novel Ben-Hur. First published in 1880, it was made into a movie in 1959 starring Charleton Heston.

Name:	B1501AF2-71DD-41AD-9F27-FAB8C962B033.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	157582. Lew Wallace. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47A9B2A3-2531-43D4-8732-4163F1FD3A89.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	157583

Cimarron was once known as the "Cowboy capital of the world". Some of the old west's most famous names, such as Kit Carson and "Buffalo Bill" Cody lived there. A quote from the Las Vegas Gazette illustrates how lawless Cimarron was. "Everything is quiet in Cimarron. Nobody has been killed in 3 days."

Moon Rocks can be found at the International Space hall of fame that is located in Alamogordo.

Tens of thousands of bats live in the Carlsbad Caverns. The largest chamber of Carlsbad Caverns is more than 10 football fields long and about 22 stories high.

Name:	94A6D7F1-E246-44D4-ACEF-BC2F9CC82D42.jpeg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	157578

Taos Pueblo is located 2 miles north of the city of Taos. It is one of the oldest continuously occupied communities in the United States. People still live in some of its 900 year old buildings.

Name:	F6BC479B-BEB8-4484-B7B5-ED9025E41E93.jpeg 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	157577

New Mexico's capital city Santa Fe is the ending point of the 800 mile Santa Fe Trail.

New Mexico is wine country. Franciscan Garca de Ziga and a monk named Antonio de Arteaga started growing wine grapes along the Rio Grande around 1629. By the late 19th century, New Mexico was the wine growing region in the United States, producing over a million gallons each year. Today, nearly 50 wineries dot the landscape.

Santa Fe was founded in 1607 by the Spanish, about 13 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth.

Doc Holliday was once a dentist in Las Vegas, NM — and shot a guy. The Atlanta native came west in 1879 on doctor’s recommendation. The soon-to-be gunslinger was dying of tuberculosis and was told that the high, dry air of New Mexico would help his condition. Dentistry morphed into a saloon and the hard-drinking, smartly dressed womanizer quickly found himself at odds with a former army scout by the name of Michael Gordon. After an altercation over a dancer at the saloon, Gordon stepped outside, pulled his gun, and proceeded to shoot up Holliday’s saloon. Doc dropped him with a single bullet. The next year, Holliday sold the saloon and moved to Arizona with his friend Wyatt Earp.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in New Mexico was -50 degrees, while the highest was 122, making it one of the largest ranges in any state.

Some Strange Laws in New Mexico:

- Idiots are not allowed to vote in New Mexico. (They don’t really give a clear definition of who gets included in that definition.)
    - You can’t legally dance while wearing your sombrero.
    - It’s against the law to dance around a sombrero.
    - It is illegal to provide glue, spray paint, permanent marker or paint to a child without a parent’s consent.
    - Women are banned from being unshaven in public.
    - It's a misdemeanor to trip a horse. It becomes a 4th degree felony if that horse is hurt.
    - It's a petty misdemeanor to sing the state or national anthem incorrectly in public.
    Anita

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday Trivia: New Mexico

New Mexico is a beautiful state. Thank you for posting this...it was extremely interesting.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

New Mexico is beautiful, hauled lots of hot peppers from Las Cruses, once was going up a steep grade, a car behind me kept honking his horn because I was going to slow for him...and it was steep enough, that the hot pepper juice started pouring out the trailer, he was tailgating me and got so close the pepper juice splattered all over his car. He quickly backed off needless to say.
    Peppers are very caustic, I'm sure he needed a paint job. I miss the mountains there.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A town in NM was renamed Truth or Consequence after the radio show. Originally named Hot Springs, the city changed its name to "Truth or Consequences", the title of a popular NBC Radio program. In March 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program on its 10th anniversary from the first town that renamed itself after the show; Hot Springs won the honor, officially changing its name on March 31, 1950 (the program broadcast from there the following evening, April 1). Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next 50 years.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Alamogordo is a fun city. I used to live there. In a half an hour you can be up at the ski slopes above Ruidoso or if you go the other way in the dunes. Also this is where the Stealth fighters are based and if you go up to the college/space hall you can see them because you are at the same height. Otherwise you really can't see them. The Air Force is required to send helicopters up with them to spot for other planes.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I post these, I find tons.....I mean TONS of info. I try to eliminate some, cause I’m afraid I’m making these tooooooo long. Thanks for the additional interesting info
    Anita

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. A fascinating state with loads of history. My DH's cousin & his wife travel frequently to the hot air balloon festival. I think it's time we go and meet them there.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

So many interesting facts it's hard to pick one. Unshaven women? Idiots can't vote?

Gina

Wanted to add I like this post. As far as being too long? I don't see anything that's that interesting as being too long. Go ahead & post when you find something you know we'll all enjoy.
    Last edited by geegeequilts; February 12th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post