Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ........sewing day

Quote Originally Posted by Ltoppins View Post
    We make these at our church and send them to Zambia. There are never enough- the women and girls line up by the hundreds to get them! I hope this link works! If not Iíll find another way to post some directions on here. There are some tutorials on Pinterest; it just depends on what style you want/need to make. Let me know if this link works.
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/1150cf_70f2...905d1beb39.pdf
    Yes!! This is the group we make them for. A couple of women actually go over there themselves as part of a large group. I believe they are going again this summer and hope to have 600 kits done!

I know the covers they make (I have not gotten to do any of those yet) all have PUL in them. The flannel pads are done in two different sizes. Each kit (I think) has six or eight pads, two pair of panties, two holders and one or two bars of soap.

The women running this inspect each carefully!! The 'seconds' are sent to southeastern US or women in prison.
    Last edited by bubba; February 12th, 2019 at 02:11 AM.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

We make 2 shields per kit. A shield holds a pad and had “wings” to snap around the crotch of the panties. Use only 100% cotton fabrics for everything. Also, use plastic KAM snaps on the shield. The snaps from Joann’s are cheap and won’t hold up. NO VELCRO! Then we make 6 pads to go inside the shield. The pads are the size of a wash cloth and they are tri-folded so that they will fit inside the shield. The pad is 2 squares of cotton with a center absorbent area made from 4-5 strips of flannel or some terry cloth. The strips will be the size of the crotch of the panties. This absorbing strip is sewn to the center of the cotton square and sandwiched in between the 2 cotton squares. The women can trifold this pad, place it in the shield and change them as needed. Place everything inside a gallon-size freezer bag. Add 2 pairs of panties, another gallon size freezer bag (for soiled pads) a small bar of soap and a small paper with directions.

This is a brief description of what to do. I’ll look for a better instruction sheet to post.

These are life-changing for girls and women!!!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the PUL fabric is needed to make them waterproof.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is also what ours are like, although the pads are not as thick, which I question as to why they are not.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"Days for Girls" is another organization. My computer will not open the page right now, but you can google the pattern and info.
    Donna