Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default In the ditch 9 patch, sortta

I am working on a 9 patch quilt. The patches are a variety of prints. I have enough 2 1/2" squares to make a middle border. I am doing a basic in the ditch quilting and the 9 patch blocks are easy, time comsuming, but easy. My question is this is there an "easy" way to ITD each 2 1/2" squares in the border?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: In the ditch 9 patch, sortta

Did your sewing machine come with an edge joining foot? It may be called an overcast foot but it has a ridge running right down the middle. It will look something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CHCFZ6M...il_aax_0?psc=1

The ridge will run right along the seam intersections and make it easier for your stitch in the ditch to stay in the ditch.

This foot will not move the top and bottom layers evenly , like a walking foot does. But you can make it work in this case by using your walking foot FIRST on the out side row, then switch to your edge joining foot for the next adjacent row. Since you are only 2 inches away from the previously stitched line the layers should move evenly together.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use a walking foot. But what I am wondering if there is an easier way to ITD the small 2 1/2" sq? What I have started to ditch the outside edges of he border, then going back and ditching the side edge of each 2 1/2" sq. Very slow having to tie off top and bottom of each side.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt, your rules. Here are some options rather than SITD all four sides of the 2.5" squares

Check the spacing specified on your batting. I am sure it is more than 2.5" inches. So leave the two top and bottom sides not SITD.

Or instead of quilting the top and bottom of each 2.5" square quilt one long straight or wavy down along the long axis of the border squares. Or start at the corner of the 2.5" square and quilt diagonally from corner to corner. This will make one long zig zag. If you go a second time starting in the opposite corner you will get a mirrored zig zag that turns into a series of diamond through your 2.5" squares. It looks pretty and it is much faster to do. No marking either
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Put your 2 1/2" border squares on. On each side of quilt start stitching from the bottom inside edge of that border and go straight up to the top of the quilt, then stitch to the right across edge of top square to outside edge. Now start quilting back down to first seam, stitch across to the left to meet your first long seam going up, then stitch back over the same seam you just made going to the right. Now you are at the outside edge again. Keep going down to next seam, over to the left, back over that to the right, and so on and so on til you get to the bottom edge where you first started. Then do the other three borders that same way. You will be double stitching over the bottom seam on each 2 1/2" square but you will only have one start and finish for each border. No cutting off after each square. Hope you can understand this, I had to draw it out on a piece of paper.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

DeniseSm and surfergirl, thanks for both comments. Because I want the "puffy" square look, I think surfergirls idea will work for what I am looking for. Again thanks for the comments!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Your quilt, your rules. Here are some options rather than SITD all four sides of the 2.5" squares

Check the spacing specified on your batting. I am sure it is more than 2.5" inches. So leave the two top and bottom sides not SITD.

Or instead of quilting the top and bottom of each 2.5" square quilt one long straight or wavy down along the long axis of the border squares. Or start at the corner of the 2.5" square and quilt diagonally from corner to corner. This will make one long zig zag. If you go a second time starting in the opposite corner you will get a mirrored zig zag that turns into a series of diamond through your 2.5" squares. It looks pretty and it is much faster to do. No marking either
    This is a great idea!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

When you want a certain look, you want a certain look. You pay the price, and most often it's time. I get it. Personally I'd do what requires the least turning of the quilt under the needle. That would be starts and stops, then tying off. You just move the quilt sideways. If you have a newer machine that has a "knot," that's what I use. From the stop to the start of the next stitching line, I leave the bobbin and top thread uncut, and snip after the side is complete. Of course the end of each line is machine knotted. If you doesn't have a knot function, you could accomplish the same thing by taking 4-5 stitches at zero stitch length. It's only time but can be monotonous. Do something to make it fun.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of YouTube videos out there which shows how to use the foot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uk0ifHrepQ
    Great explanations from folks on the forum; I'm a bit of a visual learner so the videos may help out others.
    Here's another video which really shows the stitch in the ditch process. https://www.google.com/search?client...itch#kpvalbx=1
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; February 11th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown