Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friend, making her first quilt, wishes to use 1" or higher loft to achieve a comforter look.

She would have to use a polyester batting because all others are not that high of a loft. There is what we call an 8oz. batt that is almost an inch thick but it will quilt down, and flatten with use. She will have a terrible time getting that bulk through a domestic home machine even with an 11" throat which would be one of the higher end machines $$$. She would need to do it on a long arm, or a sit down long arm with a 16"+ throat. She could put a double layer of 5oz. batting and tie the quilt. She needs to do a sample piece to see just how much work this is going to be.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friend, making her first quilt, wishes to use 1" or higher loft to achieve a comforter look.

Maybe she should try a puff quilt. It would give her the loft/puffiness she is seeking without having to machine quilt through that bulk. Just google "puff quilt" and see if that is something she might like to try instead.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this question. I have noticed several of the quilters I know using lofty batting or two layers to achieve a poofier quilt. When I bought a sit down quilter recently I was encouraged to buy a foot to use for the high loft, too.
    It may be the thing in the future but not sure it will be my future.
    I did see an antique quilt done with high loft batting in order to tame the tucks and pleats in the hand piecing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Double layer of poly, hand quilted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0414.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	157568
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzette View Post
    Maybe she should try a puff quilt. It would give her the loft/puffiness she is seeking without having to machine quilt through that bulk. Just google "puff quilt" and see if that is something she might like to try instead.
    Yep. Puff quilt is a great idea. Of the high loft quilts, I like puff quilt the best- especially for babies. Doable too for a new quilter, who probably isn't ready to do a high loft machine quilted number. The more you do, the easier it gets as you learn techniques. First timer? Been there. It wasn't much fun! I have not done a puff quilt yet, but it's on the list.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.