Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fail Safe Blocks?

Hi, I'm Bonnie, a new member and relatively new quilter (6 years). I belong to a guild and was given some fabric with a one page sheet of instructions to make an I spy quilt. Five inch squares with a lattice, but it also calls for fail safe blocks (2 1/2 inch square). I have looked and looked and can not find any reference to anything called Fail Safe blocks. Can anyone help? I have been unable to contact the person who gave me the instructions. Thanks in advance.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fail Safe Blocks?

I cannot help with your question, but just wanted to stop by and say welcome from central Wisconsin!!!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Oregon! The only thing I can think of is that they are refusing to cornerstone blocks because they help keep sashing lined up nicely keeping the quilt from going wonky?
    Pam

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard that term either. I would guess that it is cornerstones on the sashing to keep things in line.
    Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Be sure to come back and let us know what the term referred to. Thanks for the question, now we can all learn something new.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I should have said that the quilt has 20 "I spy" blocks (5" finished") with lattice/sashing (2" finished) and 12 "fail safe" blocks, 2" square. And if I had sat down and drawn those 20 blocks out, I would have realized that there would be 12 blocks in the middle. So that is what I am going to do. I'll let you know when I turn it in if it was right. And then we all would learn something, at least a new term. Thanks again.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I searched "I Spy" quilts and the pics I saw with diagonal sashing (lattice) all had cornerstones. It's gotta be what they are referring to. Have a look.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-