Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friend, making her first quilt, wishes to use 1" or higher loft to achieve a comforter look.

Greetings - Friend is making first quilt top that will be for her grand-daughter. She will be doing the quilting herself by machine.

She wants the quilt to have a very puffy/comforter look, so she's decided on 1" or higher batting. She wants my help in how to quilt this thick batting and I'm finding literally nothing. This tells me that this thick of batting is not used for some obvious reason. This only things I can think of are: 1.) the loft will be too high for the needle lift of a home machine to clear 2.) It will be near impossible to achieve the typical maximum quilting space of 6-7 inches 3.) The thickness will sooner, rather than later, start to rip apart the 1/4" seams of the top piecing.

What say you, please?? Are there such reasons, as I listed above, for not using such a thick batting - other than the obvious "quilts are not comforters"?

I've done only 7 quilts so, understandably, she seems to disregard my suggestions based on experience. This is fine - at least she's quilting! :-)

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friend, making her first quilt, wishes to use 1" or higher loft to achieve a comforter look.

I’m pretty new too but do seem to remember that high loft was “in style” some time ago so perhaps it is “out of style” now and that’s why you can’t find much info?
    Pam

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friend, making her first quilt, wishes to use 1" or higher loft to achieve a comforter look.

I do a high-loft quilt sometimes, but I hand quilt. Friend might consider tying the quilt instead,
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If she is using polyester batting it can be lofty, but she might want to note that 1" will be rather inflexible. Not really what she would want a child to cuddle with. She would have to pin a lot, and use a larger needle. Another option would be to tie the quilt. This would hold the layers together and would not damage anyone's sewing machine.

I would not recommend cotton weight, one inch thick. That would be too many layers, and again not cuddly. Just way too hot.

Good luck.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the weight. Unless it's a teenager, the child might not be able to turn over.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilters Dream Puff is a pretty high loft. I hand quilted it and it wasn't too difficult and turned out nice and puffy. I don't agree with the person who posted a heavier quilt might make it too hard for a child to turn over. Unless it is a weighted quilt and that is something completely different. I suggest taking an orphan block or making a sample with the type of batting you have in mind, and use the sample as a test piece, idk if you are MQ or HQ-- to see if you are happy with the finished results. Any batting you buy in a standard size in a bag, crib, twin etc. (not bought by the yard) will have instructions right on the pkg how close your stitches should be, and those are usually pretty good guidelines to go by. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What pattern did she use for the quilt top? A simple stitch in the ditch might be enough depending on the pattern.

If you are afraid of stress on the seams, how about a wavy line (serpentine) stitch over the seams rather than stitch in the ditch.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned she will be doing the quilting on a home machine, so the first concern I would have is that the thicknees may prevent the use of a walking foot, so she may be limited to using a regular pressure foot. The problem there is the feed dogs will pull the backing fabric thru, but even with lots of basting, the top layer will be pushed back towards her somewhat, and that will lead to lots of pleats and puckers. This might be reduced by loosening the pressure foot tension and lots of basting pins.

The other suggestion I would make is to lengthen the stitches and adjust the tension so that the quilting doesn't smash the fabric and batting together.

In addition, if she has ever machine quilted on a home machine, she'll already know how hard it is to maneuver a quilt thru the throat space, it will be significantly harder when the quilt is twice as thick.

As already suggested, do a sample test piece first., so your friend can see if it results in the look she wants.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought. Could she possibly modify the trapunto methods to get her 1" loft? In other words, use 2 layers of batting. The lower layer would be something like Warm & Natural, the upper layer pure wool batting. She'd get good loft coupled with a solid base! But the wool would squish down when under the presser foot. Of course, she should keep her quilting lines relatively far apart so the wool stays puffy.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did a somewhat high loft quilt for my granddaughter a couple of years ago. It was a polyester batting that I’d had for a while, not one inch but thicker than I usually use. I stitched in the ditch about 4 inches apart and it was nice and puffy. When I was visiting a couple of weeks ago I noticed the quilt had flattened out. It was in good shape but no longer puffy. Don’t know if they all do that, maybe because it was an older batting. It was a little more difficult to handle but I just wanted to get that batting out of the stash. Probably won’t be doing any more thick battings because I don’t think it’s worth the trouble. JMHO