Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colorado Trail Runner Attacked by Mountain Lion

You might have seen this on the news. It made NBCs eve. news yest. A trail runner in his 30's was running on an open space trail in Larimer County, west of Ft. Collins, when he was attacked by a mountain lion. He did everything right -- waved his arms, shouted, etc., but still was attacked. The man fought off the lion attack with a rock, wrestled it to the ground, & ultimately choked the animal to death with his hands, arms, & feet. Even though he experienced bite wounds to his arms & face, he was able to make it back to his car & drove himself to the hospital, where he was treated. He is doing well, but still is decompressing from the whole ordeal. He hasn't yet talked publicly about the experience. Medical staff confirmed the young lion (<1 yr. old & not fully grown) tested neg. for rabies. Mountain lion attacks in Colo. are rare, but they do occur. Sightings are quite common, especially in the foothills & mountains. They've been known to wander into populated areas, especially if they followed a watershed down from the hills. This was one very lucky man!

2. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colorado Trail Runner Attacked by Mountain Lion

Several years ago, we were in Palm Springs for a day. My husband wanted to walk a trail that went around through the rocks and ended up back where you started. As we began, I saw a sign that said to watch out for mountain lions, especially up high on the rocks. I refused to continue and went back to the car. He continued on and made it through w//o incident. Sure scared me to death though.

Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm stunned, Joy, as I read your post. We have family in CO and friends in Fort Collins. I had not seen the news reports, but Fred (DH) had. UNBELIEVABLE! frightening is all I can say. We have Mountain Lions here in Prescott and Chino Valley AZ. BUT, have never had an account or attack like this one. I pray that we never come face to face with one of these animals.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on television. i would think running where there are mountain lions not a good idea. things running may mean prey to them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is certainly scary. There a few mountain lion attacks when I lived in Southern California, and there was a mountain lion roaming my neighborhood when I moved to Northern California. But the scariest, closest one of all occurred in my current neighborhood. My kitty-corner, across-the-street neighbor wondered why his dog was barking so ferociously one morning. He looked out his back screen door and saw a mountain lion IN HIS BACKYARD TREE! The sheriff's department was called, and they had to shoot the animal when it lunged at the deputies. Very, very scary!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    That is certainly scary. There a few mountain lion attacks when I lived in Southern California, and there was a mountain lion roaming my neighborhood when I moved to Northern California. But the scariest, closest one of all occurred in my current neighborhood. My kitty-corner, across-the-street neighbor wondered why his dog was barking so ferociously one morning. He looked out his back screen door and saw a mountain lion IN HIS BACKYARD TREE! The sheriff's department was called, and they had to shoot the animal when it lunged at the deputies. Very, very scary!
    Oh my. That's really scary.
    As far as I know, almost all these attacks happen when the person is stopped and bent over, not paying attention. These big cats are expert predators. So pay attention to warning signs when you're hiking and never travel alone in such zones.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had a panther that use to cross our land about twice a year when I was in Canada. The first fall we were living in a tent before building the cabin. The dogs acted weird and were doing low growls and wanted to get into the car. I saw it once. When we lived in Vermont there were also sightings and I saw one crossing the road into the cornfield. In both cases they were black panthers.There was one loose by a friends house and she lived back about a half mile from the garbage dump. There were two animal attacks by her and she said one night her two dogs hid under her house and refused to come out while her third dog stayed under the bed growling. In Vermont they didn't like to advertise their presence, where I was in Canada they were more open about it

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MOUNTAIN LION ATTACKS ~

Out of curiosity I did some sleuthing. These animals may be called mountain lion, puma, mountain cat, catamount, or panther. According to Wikipedia, in the past 100 yrs. there have been 125 documented cases of mountain lion attacks, 27 of which were fatal. I was surprised to learn that several were in CA & British Columbia. Other states were KY, TX, WA, NM, CO, OR, MT, and Mexico & Alberta, Canada. Children especially are vulnerable, especially if unaccompanied by an adult.

So that's my trivia for today.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Love the mountain cats but from a distance. Glad to know he's doing okay.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest brother lives in Southern California. A few years ago, his next door neighbors 2 large German Sheppards were barking very loudly. They had treed a mountain lion! It weighed about 150 pounds. Animal Control shot it with a tranquilizer gun and relocated it. My brother was so glad it was not in his yard. He had small dogs! That cat had to cross a busy freeway and travel several miles in a very populated area to get to his neighborhood.
    Vonnie