Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Need Advice...

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice...

Hello all you experienced quilters! I made a layer cake quilt using the full size squares into a summer quilt with just a cotton sheet between the layers (which btw is surprisingly heavy). I thought I might tie it but not sure if I should add some stitching in the ditch or next to the ditch...to add some additional structure.

It's for my sister and she doesn't like densely quilted quilts.

Thoughts please!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Advice...

I think the answer depends on how much wear and tear you expect the quilt to receive. Is the quilt going to be washed weekly, monthly, or once a year? Once a year, tie a hands width apart. Once a week, I would add some walking foot quilting aprox 4" apart.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't need to be quilted to hold the batting in, so something simple. Maybe just few wide wavy lines running diagonally across, criss crossing each other.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of tying, I bar tacked (with my machine) a few of my early quilts where I would have tied. I tacked in the intersections of the blocks and used a decorative star pattern From my machine's choice of built in stitches to anchor the center of the blocks. It worked just fine.