Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wilmington Reds and bleeding

I have 40 strips of assorted Wilm Reds. The fabric feels wonderful, smooth and soft. I wanted to use them for binding a quilt with a cream border but worry about bleeding. I ironed a few strips and used Best Press where the main fold was, and it made a pink spot on my ironing board cover. The quilt is for a boy and so a pink border would not cut it. What would you do?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wilmington Reds and bleeding

Oh bleeding reds (or any color for that matter) is no fun. No fun at all. I think I would try to soak as many strips as necessary in a solution of vinegar and salt to maybe help set the dye and then gently rinse in a sink until no more red dye ran out when squeezed. I would hang to dry (to prevent fraying) and iron. Use as normal.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

using Retayne to keep the color in works well.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Use the retayne. The vinegar and salt thing doesn't work on modern dyes.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why we are having bleeding problems with our fabric. I don't have bleeding problems with new clothing that I purchase and I know they are not soaking the fabric in solutions. Why do you think this is.?

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand either. I never prewash and I'm not having any problems with bleeding.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh. The red backing that I had bleed recently through my quilt was Wilmington backing. I know that the rule is not to wash strips, but I would in this case. Unfortunately I found out after I washed it, even though I prewashed it before sewing. It kept on bleeding.

I suggest washing the strips by hand in a sink with hot water and Oxiclean and Dawn. You might have to do this several times until your water is clear. Then on last wash, I would add Retayne.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh oh, I am in the process of making a quilt with Wilmington reds and cream prints. Should I use color catchers in addition to Retayne?

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I did the soak in plain hot water test on the Wilm Reds and after an hour the water looks like cherry kool aid. I am rethinking the red altogether and going with blue instead, yardage I have used before and know it will not run. I dont have either Retayne or Synthrapol in my house and don't know where to get it (have never used either one). Don't have oxyclean either. I guess I am not prepared for a quilting emergency!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; February 6th, 2019 at 02:45 AM.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Well I did the soak in plain hot water test on the Wilm Reds and after an hour the water looks like cherry kool aid. I am rethinking the red altogether and going with blue instead, yardage I have used before and know it will not run. I dont have either Retayne or Synthrapol in my house and don't know where to get it (have never used either one). Don't have oxyclean either. I guess I am not prepared for a quilting emergency!
    I didn't have OxiClean either but I went out and got some for quilting fabrics only. It was that or live with a king-size quilt that I felt was ruined. I have seen the other products, Retayne & Synthropol, at my LQS and on-line but have not bought.

I would resoak the red fabric again. It will probably come out clear. And it should be safe after that.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.