Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Good Old Days

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Old Days

Brings back old memories. you will need to click on photo to enlarge it so you can read it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	childhood.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	157515

2. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good Old Days

I miss those days too :-(

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't that the truth!!

Gina

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I still slice my own bread. Used to make my own cheese and butter too, but don't keep a cow any more.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How true that is! I was just talking to someone yest. about how we both learned to can from our moms. We had no freezers then. If you bought a large amount of meat, you rented a freezer locker. My dad always had a big garden. I did lots of canning while the kids still were at home -- mostly fruit, jams, & pickles. (Of course, this all was pre-diabetes.) Once we had an empty nest, I did little canning for just the 2 of us. Then, when I went back to work, there was no time. "Those were the days, my friend; we thought they'd never end..." It was a different time in history. Today's kids would rather be busy with their electronics than playing outside in the fresh air & getting some exercise.

When the kids were home, I baked 6 loaves of bread at a time. I saved fluids from cooked potatoes, veg., etc. & stored it in the freezer till baking day. So one never knew what mysteries were in the bread. Now I bake DH's spelt bread, using our distilled water (our city water is fluoridated) & organic flour from the local natural groc. store. I limit my bread consumption due to diabetes. It's easier just to buy mine at the bakery. Slicing bread ~ I have an antique bread knife my mom gave me, which was her mother's; it has a serrated edge. I also have one of those wooden butter spoons like they used to use. I've never made butter myself, but I used to help my former MIL. They had a cow & their own milk. Her churn was one of those large glass ones with wooden paddles.

I'm sure our kids & gr. kids have no appreciation for "the good old days." Do we even share our memories with them?

I certainly could share some interesting memories from previous years in my nursing career -- when we didn't wear gloves for protection, we used glass syringes, reused needles (of course they were sterilized in between use), etc. I'm very thankful for the advances in medicine, disposable gloves, better infection control, etc.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How well I remember drinking from the garden hose, riding my bike with no helmet or knee/elbow pads. I remembering staying up late, canning, preserving, etc. Funny, what my kids remember. I have one son who put in a garden and planted green beans, along with a ton of other veggies. His remark when he had the first mess of green beans.....”now that’s what green beans are suppose to taste like!”
    I taught all my kids how to break and string (yup, before stringless) beans. They hated it. But now......their eyes glow with the memories. I think passing all of what we remember honors the past and gives them roots!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.......brings a big smile to my face!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

...except the line "Wife was content with her lot".

9. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think wives were pretty content being provided for in exchange for taking care of the family. We had respect from all men and most of us had friendships that were as strong as sisters. We found joy in canning and bread baking and when we needed a blanket, we learned to Quilt! Our children had strong ethics pounded into them from both a mother and a father and we sought education to make them have a better life than we had. Sure, we wanted material things and we saved up and watched for sales and then came the "charge card" and our worlds were expanded. Wives had to get jobs to pay the interest that was mounting up. Oh my.