Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cozy quilt I Heart You

I'm getting back in my sewing room and want to make this quilt. Has anyone made this pattern? For the background strips one of the cuts says 2 1/4. I just want to be sure that is correct and not 2 1/2. I'm learning to question patterns as in the past I have come across errors after I've cut my fabric. And would it matter if I cut them at 2 1/2 which is easier as these blocks appear to be at the ends of the strip units and can be trimmed. Thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cozy quilt I Heart You

You might want to check their site for any pattern corrections.

You could make one block to see if it still works.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe post a picture of the quilt or where we could take a look at it. Is it the large heart from Cozy Quilt? On the page it says it is made from 2 1/2 inch strips.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sydneybean View Post
    Maybe post a picture of the quilt or where we could take a look at it. Is it the large heart from Cozy Quilt? On the page it says it is made from 2 1/2 inch strips.
    You take the 2 1/2 inch strip and cut it into the 2 1/4... so 2 1/2 by 2 1/4 and yes the large red heart by Cozy Quilts. I'm making a queen in a different color.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Cozy Quilt's website, and there's a video. I clicked on the I Heart You pattern, and that page has the video. (It says 20 minutes, but only the first 10 minutes are the quilt.) She never mentions trimming the 2-1/2" strips down to 2 -1/4" .

But 1/4" per strip on a queen size quilt would make a huge difference. I'd use Excel to figure out which size strip gives you the correct finished size of the quilt. You could check on the throw size to make your calculations easier. Basically build the finish size of each strip into Excel cells, including the border, then see if that gives you the published size of the quilt.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This pattern is sewn in columns according to the video. I think you'll understand better after watching. It looks like the segments (referred to as bricks in the video) are 2 1/2" wide x 4 1/2" long. Every other column starts with a half brick of background which would be 2 1/2" wide x 2 1/4" long in order to stagger the segments making up the heart.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*