Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions on how to make this a square block

Quote Originally Posted by BethB View Post
    When I did my T-shirt quilt, there were a couple of shirts that posed similar problems. The solution closest to your problem would be to cut the design out with an edge to turn under. Then cut a piece of t-shirt material into a square or rectangle big enough for the design to fit. Then treat it like an appliqué. I did this with a piece off a shirt that was not big enough --- just appliquéd it (by machine) onto a larger piece of t-shirt fabric that was the size I needed. Good luck

Nancy
    Nancy thksnbut she wants the lettering also to be in the block???
    Hawaiigrammi

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sandy, surfergirl here. Tilt your head to the right and look at the image, do you have enough fabric to the right to cut a square, sort of on point but not really, he would be on the bias and almost look like he might be going upstairs. ooops looked a it again that won't work. I go with the others that said about cutting diagonally close to his back, and then do a half square triangle block using the rest of shirt.
    Last edited by surfergirl; February 5th, 2019 at 05:56 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Applique it to a background of mountains and them cut it into the square.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    Hi Sandy, surfergirl here. Tilt your head to the right and look at the image, do you have enough fabric to the right to cut a square, sort of on point but not really, he would be on the bias and almost look like he might be going upstairs. ooops looked a it again that won't work. I go with the others that said about cutting diagonally close to his back, and then do a half square triangle block using the rest of shirt.
    Thanks Surfergirl great hearing from you Happy New Year. Going to try different ways afraid to even cut this lol
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Applique it to a background of mountains and them cut it into the square.
    It’s a really flimsy jersey fabric will it fray?? I have stabilized it also
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    It’s a really flimsy jersey fabric will it fray?? I have stabilized it also
    If you the ultrahold heat'n bond and take a light weight cotton foundation piece, bond the mountains, then bond the t-shirt image. I don't think it will go anywhere. Test it out with a scrap of the shirt and then test out sewing over it (if you are machine quilting). I'd still recommend stitching the edges of the mountains and t-shirt cutout. I haven't had any challenges with separation when I've used this method. But I do encourage you to do a test run; wash it in hot water, dryer, etc. Basically beat up the test piece first.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Can you add another design from another complimentary shirt where the neck hole is and then square it up? Lots of times there are small designs in the backs of the shirts that might fit. Then topstitch the green piece over the new. That way it doesn't look so much like an oops but as a clever way to design and add another element.

8. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    If you the ultrahold heat'n bond and take a light weight cotton foundation piece, bond the mountains, then bond the t-shirt image. I don't think it will go anywhere. Test it out with a scrap of the shirt and then test out sewing over it (if you are machine quilting). I'd still recommend stitching the edges of the mountains and t-shirt cutout. I haven't had any challenges with separation when I've used this method. But I do encourage you to do a test run; wash it in hot water, dryer, etc. Basically beat up the test piece first.
    Ok will try in a small piece and test it out. Thanks for the help.
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    Can you add another design from another complimentary shirt where the neck hole is and then square it up? Lots of times there are small designs in the backs of the shirts that might fit. Then topstitch the green piece over the new. That way it doesn't look so much like an oops but as a clever way to design and add another element.
    Wow never thought if that one gonna see if there’s anything small enough to fit in the area. Thanks
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks going to try all the suggestions one by one and see which one works. I don’t want to loose any of this beautiful shirt.
    Hawaiigrammi