Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bernina owners - Need machine advice

Hi. I own a Viking who is not a happy sewer anymore. Her stitches are minuscule, and I have been told that it could be the step motor, which could cost $300 to replace. I got her in 1998, so I don't know if I should replace the part or get a new machine. If I get a new machine, I am thinking of getting a Bernina, but which one??? I have the 880, but she is not transportable.

I am seeking a machine that I can take to classes, so it has to be relatively light/transportable. Since I am a quilter, I would like a nice variety of stitches, though I do not need a ton of bells and whistles. I have looked at the 530, which might be more machine than I need, and she is a heavier machine at around 33 lbs. I have also looked at the 330 and the 350PE. Both weigh the same (17 lbs), but the 350 has more stitches and a walking foot, which I would need!

I have a friend who has a 530, and another who has a 330. Both love their machines. I'd love to hear your opinions, pros/cons, advice.

Many thanks!
    Michele
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bernina owners - Need machine advice

I have two Bernina's. one is the 770QE with embroidery module. Wonderful machine, but not good for classes due to weight and size.
    The second one is one of their newest models, a 475QE. It is light weight(about 20 pounds) and fits into the smaller Bernina tote bag nicely. I like the stitches that come with it and its portability. It has a stitch width of 5.5 mm, which I think would be good for classes.
    I hope this was slightly helpful. I like both of my machines and use one at home and one for classes.

3. Thanks Thimbelina thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Viking with a step motor problem and they quoted me $300 for the part plus labor. The kicker was that even if they replaced it, it could be some other things so noguarantees.
    I have always been a Viking owner so I have purchased another one but I understand the Bernina is a fabulous machine.

5. Thanks Thimbelina thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend just got the 350 and she loves it!! It is a nice little machine.

I'm still waiting on my 830 to arrive. UPS said yesterday by end of day, but they are big fat liars.....should be here tomorrow.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks Thimbelina thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My fingers are crossed for you, Pat! Glad you got that shipping restriction dealt with.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Bernina, but it is an older one (1230) and too heavy to transport on a regular basis.

10. Thanks Thimbelina thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    My fingers are crossed for you, Pat! Glad you got that shipping restriction dealt with.
    Me too! It was supposed to be here Saturday, but they lied. It's out on a truck this morning, but the roads a real bad due to snow, plus it's still snowing and blowing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I want to replace the step motor for that exact reason! I'm at a loss! Hope you like your new Viking!
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little Bernina Bernette 80e.
    It is NOT electronic, but has had everything I have needed to quilt with. The feed dogs drop. It takes a walking foot and a darning foot. It straight stitches, reverses, zigzags, one step button holes, stretch stitches, and is light weight enough that I take it all sorts of places.
    I just bought a new Brother with electronic stitch selections and all sorts of other bells and whistles. While the Brother is lighter, I'll take Bernette any day!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I have narrowed it down to the 350PE and the 475QE, but think I am leaning towards the 350 because it comes with the Patchwork foot (1/4 inch foot) and the walking foot. It also is portable and has plenty of stitches. I've made a list of questions and things I would like/what I don't need in a machine. Time will tell! I have a retreat this weekend, and will be looking at the machines. I may come home with a new one!!

15. Thanks JMR thanked for this post