Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about thread weight and type

Hello all. I was thinking of trying some different types of thread. I basically only use Aurifil 50 wt but was thinking of trying maybe a 40 wt polyester for FMQ just for a change. I was going to start googling but thought I'd go straight to the professionals........my forum friends.

My question is this, does a 40 wt polyester thread on top work well with a 50 wt cotton on the bobbin or should you only use the same type on top and bobbin like cotton and cotton? Also, what is the thickest thread you use in the bobbin.....50 wt?

Thanks for your advice!
    Tracie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about thread weight and type

Yes you can mix thread types and thread weights. So you can use a 40 wt poly on top and a 50 wt cotton in the bobbin.

For most machines (check your manual) the thickest weight thread you can use in the bobbin is 28 wt.

When FMQ it is inevitable that occasionally the bobbin thread will show on the top (for example on sharp points where you are reversing direction.) So you want to try and match the color of your top thread and bobbin thread as close as possible or use a lighter color cotton bobbin thread so you can color any boo boos. Also remember that you can use a fabric safe permanent marker to color cotton thread boo boos (bobbin thread that occasionally sneaks up to the top), but you can't color polyester thread boo boos.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman, Tracie T, lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One word of advice if using 40 wt polyester for FMQ is new to you. The 40 wt really doesn't stay knotted like the 50 wt does. So pick and practice what knotting technique you are going to use on a test sandwich first. There are basically four choices

1. Knot and bury the thread with a cheater needle
    2. Tiny tiny stitches for at least 1/2 inch in the direction of travel
    3. Tiny tiny stitches for at least 1/2 an inch traveling back and forth over itself at least once (if not twice or even three times) Leaves a noticeable glob of thread
    4. Tiny tiny stitches in a tight spiral then head off in the direction of travel

Now give that test sandwich a workout like it is going to be used in real life. Is going to hang on a wall, or go through the washer and dryer multiple times? How did the different knotting methods holds up?

Now ask yourself, which method gives me a result I can live with for the least amount of work?

You are now ready to go to your real quilt.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Tracie T thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Superior Thread Omni 30wt polyester top and bobbin and it works fine. For a double bed on my Sweet 16 it takes about three bobbins to finish. If I use So Fine in the bobbin it takes a little over one bobbin to finish a double size, nice. The Quilters Cocoon Handi Quilter Dealer at Road to California recommended using Omni top and bottom, that's all he uses in their machines.

7. Thanks Tracie T thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! Very useful information and exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the added info on the knots as well. I will indeed test them.
    Tracie