Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Hybrid View

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Square in a square quilt

I've watched the tutorial but I'm confused as to what order the quilt top should be sewn together. I only have 40 blocks because I've made a couple of mistakes and I'm at the point of sewing the honeybun/ sashing to the finished squares, the quilt will be 6 x 6 blocks. My question is, do you sew the outside sashing on the outside of the blocks first then work on the inside ? I don't know what I'm doing and I sure I'm making it harder than it has to be lol Thanks for any help

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Square in a square quilt

I lay out the first two blocks of a row side by side then add the vertical sashing on the inside edge of the first block and sew them together then keep adding the sashing to the raw edge of the added blocks. Hope this helps.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what you are asking. My guess is that you are trying to do rows of square in a square blocks wit one narrow sashing between each individual block and separate sashing horizontally between rows. I always put my rows together first with vertical sashing between blocks except blocks at each end. So your first row would be:
    1. Block #1 + sashing
    2. Block #2 + sashing
    3. Block #3 + sashing
    4. Block #4 + sashing
    5. Block #5 + sashing
    6. Block #6 No sashing

After putting the rows together, then I would add the sashing horizontally between rows, from Block 1-6. Lastly I would put long sashing on the two vertical rows at the outside of Blocks 1 & 6, from the top of the quilt to the bottom, as if you were doing a border.This method would not work if you are setting your squares on point. If this is not the answer you are looking for then I might have misunderstood your question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I am sashing I put the strip on the top and the right side of each block and then I assemble the rows. At the end, you will have two sides sashed and two that still need to be sashed. This is a different method from J Kaisers and both work

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    When I am sashing I put the strip on the top and the right side of each block and then I assemble the rows. At the end, you will have two sides sashed and two that still need to be sashed. This is a different method from J Kaisers and both work
    This is the way I do it too because I find it easier to keep the sashing straight between the rows. I can't seem to be able to evenly sew a skinny strip between rows.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That is what you do for the Falling Charms Quilt, fast and easy.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for your help