Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two sided dilemma

This ain't in S&T because it's not done. Now to the dilemma.

The dilemma is after the second pic. Suggestions wanted.

I'm making this Asian inspired quilt (36x48 wall-hanging) for a friend who owns a salon with Asian decor. She lets me display my quilts and stuff, so this one is a gift for her to display.

It all started well. Got the top done (lanterns or moons- take your pick) using some asian inspired prints. Here's the top-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asian front.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	157464

Now onto a back. Originally I was going to use up the scraps from the leftovers. Looked at it for a couple days. Then I thought, "how 'bout a kimono?" How appropriate. Drew up what I thought looked like a kimono- figured out the cutting and stitching plan- grabbed a little black and cream- stitched up a loose interpretation of a kimono. Used the scraps randomly for a border so it's the same size as the top. Here it is- (dilemma after pic.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asian back.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	157465

Here's the dilemma. As it turned out I want to quilt each side independently, so the quilting on the front doesn't conflict with the feature on the back. Here's my thoughts- Quilt each as if it were it's own quilt using thin batting and maybe a muslin back. Marry the two using maybe some fusible, and possibly some hidden security stitches.

I am not going to make this a two quilt deal. I like the surprise and intrigue knowing there is an unexpected feature on the back as well.

Any hot ideas for joining the two parts after quilting? It's a wall-hanging so laundry day won't happen but I'd still like it to remain as one piece with with no separating causing some funny spots. If you've bothered to read all this- Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two sided dilemma

For my aunt I made a quilt in two parts. I quilted front+thin batting, and back+ thin batting as you said because I wanted to FMQ a poem and I didn't want to see it reversed on the other side. Then I sewed both parts right sides together all around the edge except for 8" to turn it inside out. I pressed well, slip stitched the opening by hand and topstitched all around to give stability. It was larger than yours (about 50") for her to keep her knees warm while she sits for knitting. She's been using it for 3 years and it is holding up well.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance that the inner black border on the front side is overlapping the pieced border on the back side? If so you could walking foot quilt around that border joining the two sides. Then a few selected security stitches (maybe even use decorative motif stitches on your sewing machine?) and you are good.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought Denise did regarding the black border on the front. And then a couple scattered single or double decorative stitches to tack in the main red part on the front (it looks like you could ensure they fell within the solid black of the kimono and with block bobbin thread would not be very noticeable). By the way - beautiful quilt on both sides!
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm ~ I like both sides -- actually the back better than the front. My suggestion, since it's a wall hanging, is to use plain fabric for the backing on each, & give her 2 quilts. That way each can uniquely be quilted. They're both beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! And I love the back best!

If it was me, I would quilt both separately and then carefully, by hand, evenly put tacking stitches all over when you put them together. You don't want any sagging later on.

I would not do the birthing method, it would make the edges thick. Just put binding on the regular way.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not much help, but I wanted to say that I like both sides. I never think about the quilting interfering with the pattern. I probably would be thinking of quilting in lantern patterns all over and letting that theme carry over to the back and for me, that would be "good". But I understand that you are beyond my skill level and whatever you choose to do will be wonderful.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    But I understand that you are beyond my skill level and whatever you choose to do will be wonderful.
    Yeah... fat chance Terry. I only wish.

Sooo... we'll see how it works out. Got up at 0300 and sandwiched the "two quilts." Maybe I'll get 'em stitched up before the weekends out, or maybe early next week. It's supposed to snow a little. Good excuse not to do anything else.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Great stuff. Proceeding now and if it doesn't work (never stopped me before) I can always get more fabric. It will be "one" when complete, but truly reversible. Can't have the front stitching carry over to the back. In fact, if I could by with no quilting I would. I really don't like quilting which conflicts with the feature shapes.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

10. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You could quilt one side with thin batting and quilt the other side with viable batting then iron them together? Or maybe do both with thin batting and use some of the doublesided visible stabilizer to stick them together ( that may make them stiff though?)

Both sides are beautiful!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    Yeah... fat chance Terry. I only wish.

Sooo... we'll see how it works out. Got up at 0300 and sandwiched the "two quilts." Maybe I'll get 'em stitched up before the weekends out, or maybe early next week. It's supposed to snow a little. Good excuse not to do anything else.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Great stuff. Proceeding now and if it doesn't work (never stopped me before) I can always get more fabric. It will be "one" when complete, but truly reversible. Can't have the front stitching carry over to the back. In fact, if I could by with no quilting I would. I really don't like quilting which conflicts with the feature shapes.
    So...if you really don't like quilting it, perhaps you could sandwich both sides into a large piece of clear plexiglass and make it a true art piece.