Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Feb 1 - 7, 2019

Great progress everybody! I'm really liking all the pretty pictures.

I have another one of the little Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks underway. This is #16 of 30 for the center of the quilt. I'm debating about whether I'm going to hand piece the top or assemble the blocks and put on the border by machine. I am planning on hand quilting this in a mix of big stitch and traditional quilting. It would be cool to have a quilt done entirely by hand, but on the other hand, that's a LOT of long straight seams to say nothing of the binding. A compromise might be to do the machine work on my treadle and save the 'all by hand' for one of the 'bucket list' quilts.

I'm crazy, I know. LOL

What's going on in your world?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Feb 1 - 7, 2019

Well it's cold, and expect this kind of weather for a few months still.

Sewing wise, I'm plugging away at the hearts quilt, and have figured the sizes to cut the setting triangles and corners. Sizes on the instructions are not correct and I would have wasted lots of fabric. Tomorrow I plan to pull it together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	157462

We are going to see my daughter, husband and 3 grandkids shortly. I have care package to bring them as they are all going on a tropical vacation for a week. It should be an adventure with kids aged 5, 3 and almost 2.

Monday, I will go sew with the Victoria quilt group. A nice bunch of ladies. We make quilts for patients undergoing cancer treatments.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Yanna, pcbatiks, Star lover, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On Wednesday I took a thread painting class at my local quilt shop. I learned a lot, but the most important thing I learned is that I do not enjoy thread painting. This is a very valuable thing to know Here is what I made in class. Can you believe this took me 5 hours!

Name:	100_4866.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	157463

I have completed the quilt sandwich for my next quilt. I am doing the MJ Kinsman Birthstone series quilt this time. I am doing very simple quilting as I want the gemstones themselves to be the center of attention.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    On Wednesday I took a thread painting class at my local quilt shop. I learned a lot, but the most important thing I learned is that I do not enjoy thread painting. This is a very valuable thing to know Here is what I made in class. Can you believe this took me 5 hours!

Name:	100_4866.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	157463
    Denise, it turned out beautiful, but I can understand that its not for you. Valuable lesson learned, so it was worth the price of admission. As DH admired it, he said it's beautiful but a lot of thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep plugging away on the Christmas sampler...here's a photo from a few nights ago.

Name:	P1030573.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	157480

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my current project, I am going to add sampler blocks around this appliqued piece. I borrowed a Farm Girl book to get ideas/cut sizes for some traditional 6 and 12" blocks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0536.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	157481

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, your thread painting is beautiful. Have you seen the thread painting Tim Latimer does? He has a Facebook page.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I was confused and thought the class was going to be in hand embroidery thread painting I think your five hours might take me fifty hours It's especially nice for birds: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6415769...d_out_detail=1

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, your sample piece is beautiful, but if you don't enjoy the process at least a little then you can at least say you tried it. I've done just a smidgen of hand embroidery needle painting. Like you, not sure I'd do a big piece, though I did enjoy the process.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are my finishes this week. Log cabin hearts top and quilting a top for Victoria Quilts. This week I delivered 6 finished quilts to our local coordinator along with a dozen bags made by our group.

I think I will tackle my daughter's bag of mending and shorten new curtains for grandson.

Views:	36 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	157511 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	157512