Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Embroidery Machines - where to start?

I like to hand embroider my quilt labels but my latest (and not that fancy at all) is taking me many hours. I've started thinking that I could use an Embroidery Machine. I don't want something really expensive (under 1k preferred). Or, will that price point really limit its capabilities? Would like to be able to add designs, lots of alphabet fonts is probably what I really need. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks, I appreciate all input.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Embroidery Machines - where to start?

I had a Brother starter machine, bought it used, sold it and it has been sold again and still going strong. It was a 4x4" design machine and has been outgrown by several peeps.
    Buy as big a design space as you can afford and I would be happy with another Brother if I were to buy one again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Brother SE400 which I think you can find on sale for around 300. I use it a lot but I have to keep to just under 4x4 designs. It's dual purpose both embroidery and sewing. The sewing part lasted two years (and I've heard other people have had this problem from reading other forums) however the embroidery section is still going strong.

I think the fonts are limited and I do have problems trying to get the fonts into a 4x4 space. That very well could be me though. There is a forum here in the Group Section ( click on the Groups above) for Embroidery. I would ask in the discussion threads there. There are tons of people with all kinds of machines and probably could help with the font question on the Brother SE400 or actually any other questions you have.

That being said, I never regretted getting that machine although there have been times I wish I had one that could be 5x7 designs.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise getting a machine with the largest hoop sizes in your budget range. One of my embroidery machines is the Janome 350e and a real work horse. It has 3 built in fonts but be aware that with a 4x4 hoop size you may not have enough space for all the words. You can only resize up or down by 10 percent on that model. Not sure about other machines. The 350 comes with a 4x4, and a 5x7 hoop. If you have a dealer close to you you may be able to get a used one for a very good price.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    I have the Brother SE400 which I think you can find on sale for around 300. I use it a lot but I have to keep to just under 4x4 designs. It's dual purpose both embroidery and sewing. The sewing part lasted two years (and I've heard other people have had this problem from reading other forums) however the embroidery section is still going strong.

I think the fonts are limited and I do have problems trying to get the fonts into a 4x4 space. That very well could be me though. There is a forum here in the Group Section ( click on the Groups above) for Embroidery. I would ask in the discussion threads there. There are tons of people with all kinds of machines and probably could help with the font question on the Brother SE400 or actually any other questions you have.

That being said, I never regretted getting that machine although there have been times I wish I had one that could be 5x7 designs.
    Thank you! I didn't realize there was an Embroidery group on here. I have two sewing machines and do not really want a dual machine. Would prefer just embroidery.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    I would advise getting a machine with the largest hoop sizes in your budget range. One of my embroidery machines is the Janome 350e and a real work horse. It has 3 built in fonts but be aware that with a 4x4 hoop size you may not have enough space for all the words. You can only resize up or down by 10 percent on that model. Not sure about other machines. The 350 comes with a 4x4, and a 5x7 hoop. If you have a dealer close to you you may be able to get a used one for a very good price.
    Thank you. I was assuming fonts could be changed to any size but now I know there might be limitations. I will keep that in mind.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I had a Brother starter machine, bought it used, sold it and it has been sold again and still going strong. It was a 4x4" design machine and has been outgrown by several peeps.
    Buy as big a design space as you can afford and I would be happy with another Brother if I were to buy one again.
    Thank you. I'm glad to hear you were happy with your Brother. I have a Brother sewing machine and love it so I would welcome a Brother Embroidery machine.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amartin24 View Post
    Thank you. I was assuming fonts could be changed to any size but now I know there might be limitations. I will keep that in mind.
    You may be able to change the size of the fonts to what you need with a software program, as opposed to what the machine allows you in it's own editing. I don't have any software programs for my machines so I'm not familiar with what can be done with them.
    Something to inquire about when looking for a machine.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother PE770 that I love. It has a 5x7 as the largest hoop, with a 5x12 re-positional hoop. I love it, and it does everything I need it to do. It uses a flash drive to upload your designs and does not have direct connectivity to your laptop. That being said..if I were to be purchasing right now, I would buy the Brother PE800....because the screen that shows the design you are working on is MUCH easier to read, and determine what you are doing and the steps as it goes along. (That is the only downside to the 770...the screen is NOT user friendly). The 880 is also in your price range. Actually Amazon has a package deal going on right now. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Embro...oidery+machine
    This IS the one I would buy, if I was in the market for a new one.
    Last edited by auntiemern; January 29th, 2019 at 05:23 PM.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother PE770 that I love. It has a 5x7 as the largest hoop, with a 5x12 re-positional hoop. I love it, and it does everything I need it to do. It uses a flash drive to upload your designs and does not have direct connectivity to your laptop. That being said..if I were to be purchasing right now, I would buy the Brother PE800....because the screen that shows the design you are working on is MUCH easier to read, and determine what you are doing and the steps as it goes along. (That is the only downside to the 770...the screen is NOT user friendly). The PE800 is also in your price range. Actually Amazon has a package deal going on right now. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Embro...oidery+machine
    This IS the one I would buy, if I was in the market for a new one.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......