Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby Block Quilt

I've made to of these in the last two weeks and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I may not be able to describe this clearly, though. After making one of the 16 patch blocks, I'm suppose to measure it then cut the 1/2 square triangle blocks the size of the 16 patch. I measure my 16 patch and it measures 8" (as does Jenny's on her tutorial) She says that she cuts her squares 9"'s. I did that and the 1/2 sq. triangles were too big.

I made the next block with 8 1/2" squares for the 1/2 sq. triangle and its too small. The measurements that I make seem to be the same size as Jenny's, but I just can't figure it out. I'm focused on the 8"- 16 patch, vs. the 9" squares for the legs of the 1/2 squares. Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong???
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby Block Quilt

Too big isn't a problem . That just allows you to trim and square them up.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Baby Block Quilt

My squares came to 8 1/2" unfinished. With four 2 1/2" squares, that should be about where it ends. I did cut my star points a little over 9" and then trimmed them down. You need to add at least a half an inch to the size of the four patch to take into consideration the 2 seams you sew when you make the star points. If you make it the same exact size it will end up too small as it doesn't account for the 2 seams. Hope that makes sense.
    Debbie