Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default fabric use consideration.....54-40 or fight freestyle

in Jenny's tutorials i wish she'd take a minute or two and give us her suggestions as to what fabrics will work best with the pattern.... and especially which fabric collections WON't work with the pattern.
    i just finished sewing two and a half days the above pattern for my friend that's having brain surgery Feb 6th. i used Meow My Mind's Eye. i like the blocks but you can't really see the pattern. i started thinking it after i was about half way in... but kept going. now.....i like the blocks but the pattern is amiss.

sorry to admit, it's happened before too.

thanks for your time,
    Sadie

2. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fabric use consideration.....54-40 or fight freestyle

I think this is a dilemma I often face. I love the fabrics but I don't see that it would work with the pattern that I have in mind.

If you had the EQ program, you could scan the fabric into the pattern, and this would reveal the quilt top, without sewing a stitch. But alas that's a lot of work.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have the same problem I do. I am color challenged (I failed coloring in Kindergarten).

I have a hard time matching up colors of fabric to make a pleasing palette, words like "contrast" and "color value" are lost on me. So I tend to stick with pre-cuts too.

But I am getting the hang of the "contrast" a little bit. As a result I have finally figured out that white is not the end all of background fabric. If your prints/colors are pale, white is not the best choice, as the light colors of the print (such as the collection you used) will fade away into the background.

5. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that problem before on the 9 patch madness that I made. I didn't realize how big the prints were and had everything cut when I realized that it wasn't the greatest use of the fabric.

Sometimes it's just painful to think about all of the work you've already put into a project, when you know it's just not what your mind's eye was planning.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to predict how a fabric will look when cut into pieces and stitched into a block. It bothers me to cut a print and lose the intended design. Is this what you mean?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

oh! do tell me about this EQ. I'm computer savvy and have a very fancy new machine. i think i need EQ ��

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Quilt (EQ) is software for designing quilts, and it is awesome!

https://electricquilt.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What you're describing is something I've struggled with too. Looking at that fabric line and the tutorial, it seems that it may be an issue with value and contrast. Some precuts contain a balance of lights, mediums and darks (value). Some only contain colors with the same value, so to create contrast you'd need to add a lighter or darker background. There seem to be a lot of lights in the fabric line you mentioned, so I'm guessing you're not seeing much contrast except with the dark pinks and blacks.
    All I can offer is to do some reading about value and contrast. Here's a place to start: https://shannon-brinkley.com/blogs/s...-what-is-value.
    It will take some trial and error.
    And your friend will love your quilt because you made it!
    Last edited by chelea; January 29th, 2019 at 12:20 AM.

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the tips-i need to experiment w/ the contrast/value methodology. it definitely will be a case of ' it's the thought that counts'!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the biggest drawback to precuts! To have contrast so that a pattern "shows" you need a good balance of lights and darks. If you have unequal amounts, then chances are good that your pattern is going to be lost. For this reason I stick to those with only dark/mediums. It absolutely drives me crazy when I see a precut with all pieces being dark but one or two. What can you do with that? I also have seen some pretty pastels ones with one or two dark ones thrown in. I no longer buy unbalanced ones.
    Donna