Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Jan 25 - 31, 2019

Wow, people have had some great progress and things are getting finished or getting close for a lot of us.

I knit most of this week instead of quilting. I pulled a muscle in my side shoveling snow and my knitting chair doesn't aggravate the injury the way my sewing machine chair and needlework/handquiliting chair do. (I do both needlework and quilting on floor frames, so use the same chair for both). The up side of this is that I'm very close to a finish on an afghan for my daughter in law's sister. I'd love to get that done this month.

I am healed enough that my side hurts only when I move a certain way instead of all the time, so I'm hopefully back to working at one of the sewing machines this weekend.

What's going on in your world?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Jan 25 - 31, 2019

Sorry for your muscle pain, hope you recover quickly.
    I got the binding sewn to one side of a small quilt, made some binding for another and sandwiched a couple of others. I really, want to start something new but I must, must, must make myself get these finished first. I hope to get a couple of small ones FMQ this weekend.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got the first verse of a hymn successfully embroidered on a linen sampler. I didn't like the original verse so I was graphing it myself and drawing the alphabet. The spacing looked good on paper but when shrunk and stitched onto 28 count linen it was confusing. I had to pick it out and change it four times before getting it to look right. Now I am stitching a row of cute chickadees. I can follow the original pattern for them as I'm not changing anything there. It's the Victoria Sampler "Heirloom Christmas Sampler". I'm doing the red and green version, not the teal and pink version.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been busy, as we have had snow and rain this week. Since my back has been aggravated since last weekend, my husband has been taking care of snow with snowblower. I would normally help with walkway, but laying low helped me get better. Karla, I'm glad your back muscles are on the mend. We feel very fortunate this winter, as we have not had too much snow until this week.

I finished our king-size Boomerang. Yesterday I decided that I was not going to quilt myself, not even renting LA. I dropped it off at a LQS, picked the backing and Janet will get it done in February. She commented on how nice the points matched, and pleased that I followed the pattern and pressed all the seams open.

This week, I realized that I enjoy making tops more than quilting myself. Even with a Sweet 16, I find that I have the tendencies to overquilt them as if they are show pieces. I have to remember why I quilt - to make quilts that will be used. Having said that, my pile of tops may get quilted by cheque.

Kim - your embroidery project sounds challenging and requires a lot of attention to detail.

Today I am taking a class with a girlfriend. We are making a log cabin hearts quilt. I will work on finishing it this week. I am itching to get started on other smaller projects.

Have a good week everyone.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished quilting all the center motifs on the Tessalla quilt and am currently quilting the wishbone motif in the background. I am really pleased with how it looks. I should finish in a few more days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4832.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	157331

Next Wednesday I will be taking a thread painting class at my local quilt shop.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I love VS! I did "Fire" from the 4 Elements series last summer. I have the kit for "Earth" all ready to go once I get a couple more things done.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have FINALLY finished sewing down the petals on my wallflower quilt and have decided on block placement. Just need to sew together and put a border on which shouldn't take long.

Then it's on to my UFO for February, although I plan to finish a Linus quilt first. This was donated and I really don't care for the colours etc but I'm sure someone will love it.

DH is taking me out for lunch tomorrow after my craft class so won't get much done and we have DGS staying from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon which will be fun. He loves organising things so I'm hoping he wants to help me move my embroidery stuff in my sewing room.

Hope everyone has a good week.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been making a lot of progress on the log Cabin heart quilt. It was a class last Saturday. I have finished the 18 blocks and placed it on the design wall. It is set on point, and we were not given written instructions to put together. I have made many quilts set on point, so I will be ok. I will write it up with diagrams for my girlfriend as this is all new to her.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My newest project. this one will take me quite a while. It is going to be a combo of Edyta Sitar's basket of flowers for the center and a sampler using the rest of the Sitar layer cake I bought here months ago.
    I plan to use a Farm Girl Vintage book for the sampler blocks.
    Very ambitious, aren't I?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0536.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	157417

I finished up all but one project recently, I have one sandwich to quilt [not pictured] but I can alternate it with the other blocks.

Name:	IMG_0534.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	157418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0533.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	157419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	157420

Why do my pictures always end up sideways??? I guess a quilt is pretty any direction one looks at it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, your quilts are beautiful. You have been busy. Try holding camera/device sideways. maybe?

Today I finished the sashings and cornerstones, and sewn to the rows. I am very glad that I didn't cut the setting triangles and corners. The instructions provided in the class material are wrong. Surprise, surprise. I have made tested with paper templates and will cut them tomorrow, and hopefully finish piecing it. All that will remain is selecting borders. I am going to make this quilt work, despite its challenges.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	157424l

16. Thanks threadbndr, Claire Hallman, Star lover thanked for this post