Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why I'm Not Sewing

Back in December, I asked for prayers for my stepfather of 44 years. He had developed a blood clot that lodged in his intestines, and emergency surgery saved his life. The doctor had to remove all but 100cm of his small intestine, but that was deemed just enough to support life.

My stepfather started the long road to recovery. He seemed to be doing well. He began eating quasi-normal food. He moved from being bedridden to sitting in a wheelchair. From the wheelchair, he moved to walking. His color was good. He was cogent and looking forward to the future. He's spent years writing some marching band music and he talked with me about how he'd like to see the piece finished.

Warning: Skip this paragraph if you're eating.
    One of the possible side effects of "short bowel syndrome" is uncontrollable "runs." That was certainly the case for my stepfather, along with his skin starting to break down as a side effect. He was in terrible pain.

A doctor advised our family that a feeding tube should be inserted for a month to give the bowel a chance to rest and recover. The pain got so bad that my stepfather decided to try this.

Sadly, this was the beginning of the end. Within a day, my stepfather was no longer cogent, instead we described him as "loopy." The bowel problems continued. And, worst of all, the feeding tube introduced infection that entered his blood stream and attached itself to the wires of his pacemaker.

His daughters decided to have the feeding tube removed. They also engaged hospice services, mostly for the extra benefits and care that their father would receive. We moved him and my mother into assisted living so that they could be together. That lasted ten days, and my stepfather passed away peacefully in his sleep.

My mom immediately moved back into her home, and my brother moved in to help her. I am handling all the financial details and the numerous notifications that must take place. We held a Memorial Service early in January, and the interment will take place next week. I am overwhelmed trying to keep up with everything.

May I say that checking into the Forum every day has brought a great deal of peace to my life? I thank you all for being my online friends. You've been quite instrumental in me keeping my sanity at a difficult time. Thank you.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

2. Thanks toggpine, Star lover, LLLinda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why I'm Not Sewing

Toni, that's a lot on your plate right now! Prayers for you and your family to be able to help everyone and cope with the daily challenges you are facing. I'll be thinking of you often. You have my deepest sympathy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for you Toni, that sure is a lot to deal with. Remember that you can't take care of others if you aren't taking care of yourself. May you find peace and quiet for a while each day, you need it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni, I'm so sorry. Losing a parent is never easy. I have a feeling your Step Father was a very interesting man to know. Did he have any influence on your musicality?

My thoughts and prayers will be with you daily during this difficult time.

Cyber Hugs being sent your way!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear what you and your family have gone through. You are in my prayers.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss. Gods peace be on all you family.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry. What a shock to see your step father decline so unexpectedly and so rapidly. I am glad your brother could move in with your Mom and hopefully that will cause less worry for you that way. Sounds very stressful on everybody. Lots of adjustments to deal with besides the distress of his passing. Remember we are all here for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni ~ So sorry to learn all you've been dealing with over the past weeks. My sympathies on the death of your step-father. I hope your mom will do okay. May God give you daily strength to cope with everything & comfort you & your family. God bless.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Toni, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the paperwork is just so over whelming. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Toni, I'm so sorry. I will pray for you and your family.
    Tracie