Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kits

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default kits

This is the second kit I have done that has given me way more material than I actually need. Is this common because this is the first time I have run into this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: kits

Yes, almost all kits give you way more material than you need. The theory is that is you make a mistake you will have enough fabric to fix it.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I love that about kits! Lol
    Pam

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about other kits but I have purchased some from one company and have always found their kits to be very generous in fabric.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but beware, some shops do not do this. I bought 2 different kits from Primitive Gatherings the first I made was Just barely enough-good thing I cut my binding 2.25"-the second one I made was short of fabric! I will not buy another there.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

;Usually I have more fabric than needed although this last kit only had more of one of the fabrics so the other fabrics...too bad if you made a mistake. Weird. I'm not at all excited about kits. I've tried them 4 times.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought several kits from Connecting Threads, and have found that they were more than generous with the fabric.

8. Thanks Granny Fran, dwil23, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kits which I have completed always have fabric left over. One of them I made two of the same wall hangings from one kit. I love buying kits.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The laser cut wallhanging kits from Shabby Fabrics have just enough to do the piecing (literally 1/2 an inch left over). There was very little margin for error and if a mistake was made there was not enough to cut another piece. I have not tried a kit for a regular quilt.

11. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've purchased kits that go each way. Part of the problem is that I tend to pre-wash my fabrics and they shrink. I've purchased kits where, after my pre-wash, the borders just b-a-r-e-l-y make it, and only after I've done some creative ironing! Then again, I purchased a water color quilt that had lots of extra squares for the background (the foregrounds, again, had just b-a-r-e-l-y enough fabric). I was glad for the extra background squares; some of them were dark Christmas fabrics, which stood out like sore thumbs.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?