Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Luxe fabric

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Luxe fabric

Good Morning,
    Can anyone tell me why luxe fabric (made from cotton) is sold as quilting cotton? If I remember, it is soft to the touch, but it is stretchy like a poly or rayon. Connecting Threads is selling a stash builder box - luxe base cloth, made from 100% USA Cotton. Any words of advice or experience from you? Thanks, Maria
    Last edited by gramofeight; January 23rd, 2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clearer description

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Luxe fabric

Bumping up, I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of this fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

seems there was a thread about lux fabric a while back. I'll try to find it.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking for it gramma terry. I have been in Joann Fabrics, and found luxe in their store. I am sure that this is why I remembered not wanting it because it had stretch. It was soft to the touch though. Besides being more expensive, I don't want any issues when I am piecing. Back to Connecting Threads, I did buy a fat quarter bundle from them last year. The play and stretch in the fabric gave me stress and regret for buying it. I used it up in a project, but I did call the company and asked why: Is this fabric meant for quilting? Yes. Is this cotton? Yes. Why does this quilting cotton stretch like polyester? No answer.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

A true poly/cotton fabric does not stretch. I have worked with a lot of 100% cotton thread that does stretch, especially in jelly rolls, I think that is because it is cut in 2 1/2" strips that stretch easier. I have purchased 100's of yards of fabric from Connecting Threads and have never been disappointed.

7. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find a post but I do remember reading about this and then looking it up. It must have been called something else because I only get things that have to do with higher quality and softer cottons. I remember what I did read was talking about how soft and silky this was and I was fascinated but darned if I can remember what it was called.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that luxe is a description of something not an actual type of fabric. It is just a shortened word for delux.