Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Thread: Needle holes

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needle holes

I just started the orange peel quilt and I noticed that the needle is leaving holes in the fabric when I zig zag the orange peel pieces to the white charm squares. Iím using a size 11 quilting needle and I havenít had this problem before. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needle holes

Some fabrics are screen printed with a kinda paint. A lot of Hawaii print fabrics have this and when you sew through them they leave holes in the fabric from the needle piercing through the paint. Not sure what kind of fabric you are using, are the holes in the orange peel and the background fabric too?

3. Thanks Ltoppins, Vonnie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Did you fuse the orange peel to the background? If so the fuse gives more permanence so when the needle makes a hole it does not close back up as much as it does when it is just fabric with no fuse. The good news is if you lightly run your iron over the orange peel after it is stitched down (just for a few seconds) the hole will be sealed and won't spread. The hole will not show after you wash the quilt for the first time.

Finally a fuse will wear your needle out faster. So you may have to change the needle more often. A dull needle makes bigger holes.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also, a size 11 needle is on the sturdier side. You might experiment with a smaller needle.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

7. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try using a needle that is not a "quilting" needle, since it has a larger eye, thus makes a larger hole. You might try a Microtex #70. The Microtex are sharper.

9. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I did fuse the peels. It does appear to be a painted fabric. They are in a bundle of fat quarters I bought and some of them have some metallic designs. I will try changing the needle size and ironing them. Such good tips. Thank you all!!