Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Would You Go About Selling Your Machine?

Hi All,

First, my disclaimer: I know that we are never, ever to try to sell things here on the forum. I will purposefully not mention what I'm hoping to sell, specifically because I don't want to break this rule.

Having said that, may I pick your brains about how you would go about selling your gently used machines? I tried Craigslist before Christmas, but didn't even get a nibble. If you were selling a machine in the $1,000-$1,500 price range, where would you list it? Would you consider shipping it, or would you strictly list locally?

Thank you!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Would You Go About Selling Your Machine?

I have sold machines and a lot of other things but strictly local. I advertized on a national site which lists local items. I have had the item in the front room of the house if they wanted to test out. I have all parts and manual available to peruse. Sites here that worked for me is Kijiji and local area selling on Facebook.

I only accept cash. If they want to pay by cheque, then I would have them wait 7-10 days to pick up item until all is clear with your bank. There are too many scams lately even with cheques or e-transfers. As an example, a seller accepted a cheque, but the amount was overpaid. The buyer suggests an e-transfer back to him. Easy peasy, except now they have your money and their cheque is fraudulent. Go with your gut, but know that scammers are pros.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what type machine it is you could look for Facebook Classified groups for your type machine.

4. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you belong to a quilt guild you could let them know you are selling your machine perhaps a member is looking for one to upgrade from what they have. My sister sold hers like that with word of mouth to the quilters.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't trust using on-line markets - like Craigslist (too many horror stories).
    I would probably go to my local sewing machine shop and see if they take machines on consignment.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    I have sold machines and a lot of other things but strictly local. I advertized on a national site which lists local items. I have had the item in the front room of the house if they wanted to test out. I have all parts and manual available to peruse. Sites here that worked for me is Kijiji and local area selling on Facebook.

I only accept cash. If they want to pay by cheque, then I would have them wait 7-10 days to pick up item until all is clear with your bank. There are too many scams lately even with cheques or e-transfers. As an example, a seller accepted a cheque, but the amount was overpaid. The buyer suggests an e-transfer back to him. Easy peasy, except now they have your money and their cheque is fraudulent. Go with your gut, but know that scammers are pros.
    I would be leary about having someone come to my house to pick it up. They could come and then rob you. Over here, it has been recommended to meet at a public place or if they must pick up at your home, check with the sheriff's office to have an officer come by when the buyer is supposed to show up.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One of our local quilt shops-they do not deal in machines-has a bulletin board with machines for sale, also allow you to advertise for quilting and mending services.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your great ideas and for your wise cautions. You've given me good food for thought.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you use facebook, and are friended with a bunch of quilters, there is facebook marketplace. I bought a featherweight from a lady who lived three towns over. I did not know the lady, but she was a quilter. It was an adventurous day!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a group on Yahoo. You may have to set up a Yahoo account, but no cost and then join the group. I haven't used them, truthfully, but it might be a lead for you. You would get emails for things which are posted. If you have concerns, you could email the person and see what their experience has been.

Group Description
    Quilters Flea Market is a place to buy and sell QUILTING and fiber art supplies... clean out your space or find a treasure... all members may post personal items for sale, no commercial ads please..
    PLEASE read the guidelines in the files before posting an ad!
    Group Information

Members :
    Category :
    Quilting
    Founded :
    Jan 30, 2005
    Language :
    English

Group Settings

This is a public group.
    Attachments are not permitted.
    Members cannot hide email address.
    Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.

Membership does not require approval.
    Messages from new members require approval.
    All members can post messages.

Group Email Addresses

Post Message :
    quiltersfleamarket@yahoogroups.com
    Subscribe :
    quiltersfleamarket-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Unsubscribe :
    quiltersfleamarket-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    List Owner :
    quiltersfleamarket-owner@yahoogroups.com
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown