Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Such a pretty day

It is cold and windy where I am but I was just thinking while looking at the lovely sunshine outside that at least it 's not snowing with icicles all over. Snow is pretty until it sits awhile and no shoveling here either. so yep,, good day here!! enjoy it where ever you are! watch that Moon tonight too!!

2. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Our snow never came, just some icy rain and 50 degrees is predicted for the afternoon. Think I'll open some windows to let some fresh air in for a few hours.

Our house is on a concrete base and we keep the house temp about 72 and a gas fireplace on in our TV/reading/relaxing room at all times as we oldies are up and down throughout the night. DH is always cold, wears and underwear tee shirt, a long sleeved tee shirt, a heavy sweat shirt topped with a hooded fleece jacket and would like the house temp higher but even with a humidifier attached to our furnace the air gets so dry that my nose is stuffed up all the time. Oh, he keeps the hood up too. Told him to let his hair grow longer to keep his head and neck warm but he's an X-Marine and still favors his hair (what's left of it) short. Oh well, at least I got him to coordinate his at home outfits as he used to wear an old ratty beige hooded jacket and mopped around the house looking like a homeless person. Somehow that jacket disappeared, wonder where it is? HA, HA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	157218

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, Miss May. Funny how some clothes disappears in the laundry.

Well I though you might like to see our snow fall so far. We are expecting more later today, so DH is doing first pass with snowblower. You can almost predict the snowplow will leave a hump after he is done.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	157220

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

5. Thanks Star lover, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm cold natured I don't think I would make it in a colder climate. As I get older with arthritis the cold makes me ache. I keep mine between 68-72. I can't wait for summer!

7. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

its been a sunny day, but cool

heating wise we try to get the building up to 20 degrees c ( 68 degree f)by 9pm by 6am next morning we are anything between 7 and 15 degrees c, (that be 44 to 59f) depending on outside temperature. next day start again trying to rebuild the heat with fire. the fires on all night so the heat lose shouldn't happen.
    we have double glazing, but there is air bricks under the floor so cold and damp could come in that way. (its not my building)
    we cant shut any rooms off in home because if the walls get cold . swiftly moving on.
    we have a boiler but if leave on limited timer uses a tank of fuel every 3 months costing £
    with a bit of craftiness , warming boiler before circulating and turning off then recirculating often then before bed we getting fuel usage down and heat up, saving pennies where possible,
    we have electric for cooking,
    winter is baking season to warm kitchen.
    him self is enjoying a gluten free lacto free ginger & date sultana cake.
    ginger is good for reducing inflammation (thinking of his noggin docs say may take 2 weeks, you are what you eat so here is a run down), the olive oil, dates & sultanas are for all pain killers taking, lacto free milk is source of calcium, the quinoa is for happy internals. the syrup in cake helps him keep hold of it he says, its a bit sticky. a few specs of xum gum keeps it soft saving teeth . who says cake is not good for you?? sorry gone slightly off track but baking is heating

we had a flurry of snow Friday, but melted as soon landed, there are suggestions of -10 degrees c on way on internet which is 14 degree f. see a baking frenzy in the future.
    14 f is tropical considering the -19 -21 some have been experiencing ( saw this on bbc red button service)
    hope you all staying warm. have a great day

9. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are having rain showers today. We haven't had any snow here this fall/winter. Just rain and mud.

We have an electric furnace, but we haven't used it since fall of 2004. We put in a wood stove and haven't looked back. We aim to keep the house between 65 and 70. Sweaters/sweatshirts are worn on chilly days before the Stove Season starts or after it ends.
    If it is properly loaded and banked down, I can still have coals in there when I get home from work and the fire box is warm. This makes it a lot easier to keep the house at a constant temperature.
    When we moved in there was carpet in the master bathroom. Gross. Eric wanted tile. I didn't want frozen feet in the winter. He put in radiant floor heat coils under the tile. This stuff is brilliant! It gently warms the floor and eventually the whole room enough to take the chill off. Our bath is one of the last places to heat in the house. This solution fixes both problems. You can feel the warmth all the way to your knees. It's a little slice of heaven after a long day of being on your feet.
    I liked it so much, that when we had to replace the floor in the kitchen after a water leak, I made him install some between the kitchen sink and the island work station. Love that! We noticed that if we ran both floor heat units for an entire month it added about $10 to the electric bill. (It was during an arctic air flow out of the Frasier River Valley one winter.) It also kept the pipes from freezing.

I need to go get hooves trimmed in the barn so I can get back to the sewing machine!

Stay warm and safe out there! Hugs, Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

11. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We had a good bit of snow, not sure how much, maybe 5"? The local weather stations are somewhat lax about updating their online forecasts on the weekends. The snow removal service came out once and cleared out the driveway, but we've had high winds and with the blowing and drifting you wouldn't know it. I'm not sure if they will be out again, or if I should see if my snowblower still works.

As for house temperature, I keep the thermostat at 67 degrees during the day, 62 at night. When I'm at work I keep the house at 63.

I took a pic of the snow hanging off the roof of the garage. This is the view from my kitchen window, not sure why it came out so blue. I was trying to capture the swirls in the snow.

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	157228

13. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our thermostat is set on 71 most of the time. We have an energy efficient home.

15. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The heat is set for 71 and the ac is set for 75, most days we have a combination of both.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

17. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Afternoon ~ I'm just now getting here. Didn't really have time early this a.m., although I popped in briefly. I thought about the DD today, but I already have a lot of batiks on hand & just couldn't justify more, even though it was a good buy.

We keep our house temp. the same 24/7 -- about 74 deg. We've tried it both ways -- turning the thermostat back at night, then back up in the morning. But it takes so long for the house to warm up, & DH is cold all the time & wears several layers as it is. Money wise, it's actually more cost effective to keep the thermostat set at the same temp. all the time. Our natural gas bills proved it. I keep my BR door shut, because I like a cool room & sleep with the window open. I have a rolled up mat at the bottom of the door to keep the cold air from seeping into the main part of the house.

Years ago, when the boys still were at home, we heated the house with a free standing wood stove in the bsmt. We had friends all over town saving newspaper for us. DH made metal rings out of the more sturdy coat hangers. We fished these out of the ashes & reused them. The boys rolled the logs every day. We supplemented with free scrap wood & coal (which we bought), which kept the fire going through the night. It was a bit messy. Some of our walls got a bit smoked up & still need painting, which DH no longer can do, & his health & anxiety won't permit someone coming in to do it; it would be too disruptive to his daily routine.

Suzanne ~ That's a lot of snow. Glad it's in your yard, not ours. It's partly sunny here & 52 deg. We're supposed to get rain & possibly snow tonight into tomorrow It seems like there has been 1 system after another coming in from the Pac. NW & moving across the country. I don't know if our skies will be clear enough tonight to see the full "blood wolf moon."

I spent most of yest. in the kitchen baking DH's spelt bread. I use my bread maker on the dough cycle & bake it in the stove oven. I took the 3rd loaf out of the oven ~3 p.m. I sliced it up this afternoon & stored it in the freezer. It should last until well after my surgery. I have several other things to do this week.

When I'm done here, I'm hoping to finish up the last of the FMQ on the baby quilt, then get started on the binding. I need to get that gifted this week.

I hope everyone stays warm & safe from the bad weather. It looks like the N.E. is in for it again. Enjoy the rest of your MLK week end.

19. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post