Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Such a pretty day

The snow is coming down at a nice clip and just about covers everything. The wind kicks up and it all blows back and forth. I get to enjoy this now because the wind isn't coming through 100 year old windows in my office now that the new ones are in :-) Wow, it's actually quite pleasant!

But that got me curious. Now that we'll be getting bitter temps the next two night. What do members keep their temperatures in the house at during the cold winter??? I recall when I was little we kept it at 72 (that was when energy was cheap), in my 20's they recommended 62. Now I keep it at 55.

How about you??

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Such a pretty day

We keep ours at 68, and the house is comfortable. However we have a glass sunroom on the north side of the house that opens to the rest of the house. It can get chilly in there so we keep the gas fireplace on in there as that's where we spend most of our time.

We did not get the predicted snow but rain instead. I don't miss the snow!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Carlie and all who follow,

Oh it's pretty here also and we got lots of snow, not sure how much (~10") and it looks light and fluffy. We are still under weather warning and another 6" expected today. Temperature has been quite cold, this am it's -18c, -28c with wind chill. The wind must be blowing, as we have snow on the front porch, which we rarely get.

We keep our house at 72-74 normally in the winter, and unlike when we were younger, we don't drop to 68 at night. Depending if it's sunny during the day or not, we might pump up the temp to 78. I know it might seem hot, but house is large with cathedral ceilings. We do have some ceiling fans but it doesn't do a perfect job. Our windows are very efficient, and we changed the doors last summer, so we don't have any heat loss or wind howling in.

I wish we were staying in today, but we have a 'tooth party' to go to, for our youngest grandson tonight. DH will probably use the snowblower a couple of times today. I may go work on Boomerang for a few hours.

Enjoy your day if you are in storm areas. Be safe. Stay warm. Stay inside and sew if you don't ned to get out.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty well the same weather here as Suzanne. Bitterly cold I say. I live in an old log house that sits basically on the ground. We bank the snow against it in the winter. My windows are horrible so I have them covered in plastic. We keep the temp. at 60 but I do have a little electric furnace that I use in the kitchen.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

8. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Pretty well the same weather here as Suzanne. Bitterly cold I say. I live in an old log house that sits basically on the ground. We bank the snow against it in the winter. My windows are horrible so I have them covered in plastic. We keep the temp. at 60 but I do have a little electric furnace that I use in the kitchen.
    Whoa. I would be layering up with tops. DH likes to wear tshirts year round so that's why we keep it warmer. When he says he's cold, I say put on a sweater, but he rarely does. I can see why you will enjoy Cuba temperatures.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all. No snow here, it was in the mid 60's yesterday, although today is raining.
    We have a 4 year old home so it is well insulated and very efficient. We keep the heater
    at 68 and it rarely turns on. It is a bit cold bringing the puppy out 2 times a night....

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We keep our back up monitor heater (k-1 fuel)at 50 to keep the pipes from freezing if the wood stove doesn't keep up. We burn wood which we cut from our property for a wood stove in the living area and that keeps the living space at about 65. The adjoining rooms range from 40=50 degrees on cold days....good for sleeping under several good quilts.
    The wind is howling. Snowed a little in the night but the wind has taken it. Going to get colder tonight.
    I'm hoping to finish the backing for a quilt today..we'll see.

14. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hubs is always warm and I'm always cold so it's a non-stop thermostat war. We generally agree on 68 downstairs and 67 upstairs in the bedrooms. Because I'm the only one retired, those rules are adhered to on M-F
    We got several inches of snow overnight, it was really pretty and this morning it started to rain. It's going down to 5 tonight so we're going to have icy roads.

16. Thanks Star lover, MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to feel the temp going down. Now I have my warm slipper socks over my warm socks :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

18. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I run really hot and am constantly having hot flashes so we keep ours around 66-67. Any warmer than that and I start to sweat.
    Pam

20. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post